Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Hotrodders, thought I would finally join this forum. I have learned a lot from reading here over the course of an engine building project I was working on on my S10.

The engine is a Gen 1 350 block, given to me by a friend when my 4.3 (L35) broke down. I decided it would be more fun to build something new than to do a stock replacement. Project involved a general restore of the front end suspension, PCM reprogramming (via mail), and building up the top end of the engine to run as a fuel injected Vortec. Bottom end was in good shape and had been running previously. I went with the Comp XE262 cam and had minor work done to the heads to use guide plates and accept larger springs. Future work might include an intake upgrade - the stock handles well at low to mid RPMs but does seem like it could use more air once it hits 4500.

At this point I'm almost completely done with the project, but have discovered my heads aren't sealing properly, so that's going to have to be redone. I'm using a steel shim gasket because the pistons are pretty far down in the hole, and may have not done a great job getting them installed the first time. You live and you learn! This has been my first engine build.

Other than the S10, I have a 95 V6 Camaro and a new Subaru with even less power. I like to learn about engines and do my own work in general, hence why I've spent so much time here. See you all around!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Central OK

Welcome to the site. You're rebuilding a Gen I SBC and said something about PCM reprogramming. By that I'm assuming that it's a TBI unit, correct? Have you thought about some kind of aftermarket fuel injection? What trans?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the Vortec MPFI (new spider, not the older poppet spider). I know a lot of people love carbs and TBI for various reasons, and I do love my friend's Chevelle with his carb'd 383, but the goal behind this build was to keep the truck as a daily. I also had the 411 PCM already, forgot to mention the S10 is a 2002 and had that. So I sent it off and had it tuned for my setup. I have thought about getting an aftermarket intake w/a fuel rail, or the marine intake. Either one would increase my power potential. Plenty for now. ...once I get the heads to seal, that is.

Transmission is the original 4l60e, which I had rebuilt this year after the pump died one morning. I was going to run with it until it started having issues, thinking I could get a year or two before I had to deal with it, but it looks like the old engine may have damaged it (crankshaft end play) and my install depth might have been off as well. It lasted 1 month, lol. Now it's built up with all the clutches, 2-4 servo, shift kit, and one or two other things. Feels pretty crisp so I'm not afraid to drive. ;)

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of pics. I have better ones but as people are probably noticing a certain photo hosting site decided it wanted to die recently.

IMG_20170503_182747.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 10.07.31 PM.png

1 - 4 of 4 Posts