Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time watcher, first time participator. I am a newbie to the world of online forums but I figure it is time to get my feet wet. As for my ambitions and priorities in life, it centers around constructing my own truck. My vision of this project resembles a cross between a hot rod and a rat-rod. I like the many innovations the hot rodding industry has developed over the years. But, what I really find useful is having this forums input and resources available to help me on my new project. Living here in Montana doesn’t allow for much interaction with other car builder enthusiast.
My planned project is taking a 37 Dodge truck cab along with a 37 Plymouth sedan front clip, and a 39 Chevy truck box and mounting it to a frame. For the power-plant I plan to use a 318 Dodge motor and automatic transmission or adapting a 1964 Pontiac Tempest manual shift transaxle to the 318 Dodge motor. The frame is one area where I am having difficulty figuring out what to do. Make my own or use another one?
I am self-employed as a on-line entrepreneur. I wheel and deal in vintage auto parts, therefore I have a good resource of parts. As for experience, I have owned, worked on, and sold junk most of my life. My first project was restoring a 54 Chevy truck when I was 16 years old. Since then I have worked on everything from A to Z. So, I don’t consider myself a novice but somebody open to new ideas and new ways of doing things.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hot Rodding

My Brother In Law , Jerry owns Buzz and Jerry's Rod Shop up in Billings. If you get a chance head out there and say hi. He has a lot of mid 30's steel body cars. You might find something of interest. Most of his stuff is GM cars but I do believe he has a few old MOPARS sitting around as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RE: howdy from Montana

Howdy back! I have also been lurking around this site trying to figure out what frame to use under a 37 Chevy pick-up that currently has Land Cruiser running gear under it. The Cruiser does not fit well and I also want to go back to a lowered 2 wheel drive. Since we are across the state, maybe our area has a few parts that yours doesn't and vice-a-versa. I would like to see a few pictures of the "Wompass Cat" that you are building. Sounds like a great project! I am just getting into these older trucks after trying to justify a Chevelle or a Impala and have been unable to bite the bullet for the big Cash$$$$. THere are a few older bodies lying around and I believe that I might be able to afford a "Rat Rod". Take care and let me know what frame you are going to use. RI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts