Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All.
I was wondering something.
These scamers that offer to buy stuff and send you a cashiers check, then you send the remander of the money to them.
Why cant you just get the cashiers check, then cash it first before you send the parts??
Ive never tried it, but if you got the cash first, then how could you get screwed? Hg

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
You do cash the check then send off the difference to Nigeria. They are banking on the lag time for the bank to find out it is a forged check a week or so later and come back after you for the money. Trust me, you lose.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
You will get stopped at the bank for trying to pass a bad check, not too mention being out the money. Bank deposits are always made pending check approval even if the money shows up immediately on your balance.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Scammers

Sometimes it takes awhile for the check to process through. The checks look so real several banks don't realize they are no good. Then again you might be one that gets arrested and embarressed in public when you walk in the bank door with that cashiers check. I've had several chats with the U.S. Marshall's office about these scammers but untill a federal warrant is issued they say nothing can be done or investigated. Best bet do not get one in your hands, Local Law enforcement may look at you as part of the scam. And by due process it takes time to clear yourself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As stated above, bank cashes check and you send funds to overseas person. In a few weeks the check is found to be no good and the bank comes after you.

You will not win that one by saying "I didn't know" and you may be implicated in the fraud.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's another I just got. I was never aware of these scams until last week.

Hello there,is this still available for sale?...what is your final price?i am an American citizen based in Europe and i would be glad if you can get in touch with me as soon as possible because i would like to make a purchase soonest.
In regards payment,i can have my partner send you a certified check to cover your fees.He owes me some money for an order i cancelled with him not too long ago.My money is a bit more than your fees and i would be glad if cashed the check after you receive it and send the balance of the funds to my nephew via western union so he can come down to your place for the pickup afterwards.
I do not mean to inconvenience you and i would be glad to spare some extra change for your assistance,..If this arrangement is fine by you,pls send down the necessary details(name,address,phone number...etc) for the check to be sent to you by next week latest.I have to make a buisness trip before the end of this week and i would appreciate it if you got in touch with me soonest.
Thank you and hope to hear from you soon,
Regards,
Thomas.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
That's the same old scam. And he isn't from Europe, he is form Nigeria. They all are from Nigeria, you can tell from the pig-English they all use. Scams are their #1 national industry.

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
With the banks now doing all of their transactions via electronic means, there is a chance that these scams will stop or at the least slow down. But there will always be some way for the crooks to part you and your dollars if you are not fully aware of what is going on around you.

Al

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think next time I'll tell em to send me a Money order, take it to the bank to have it looked at, if its good, I'll cash it and keep all the money for all our troubles with there trolling online. LOL HG
p.s. AND NOT SEND ANY PARTS!!!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts