Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1950 Ford Custom
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up. I have a 1950 Hudson with a Straight 6 and I am looking for a 400 SBC to replace it. I also want to find a car with the entire power train to bolt to this 400.

Has anyone ever seen a Hot rodded Hudson? I have seen them restored but not slammed.:pimp:

·
Registered
175 Posts
nice

start a journal on that thing - i wanna see it

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
Those straight Hudson sixes were the "hot" package back in the early 50s. Especially in the stock car circles. Would be neat to see it done up....just a thought.

·
1950 Ford Custom
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
poncho62 said:
Those straight Hudson sixes were the "hot" package back in the early 50s. Especially in the stock car circles. Would be neat to see it done up....just a thought.
That's what I've heard. This one was in some sort of race club. It has hands painted on it and a red shield. I don't know what that means. I want to get the engine to a retro club or a hudson club. I really like the engine but I'd rather go for the extra ponies. It is far from original anyway.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,781 Posts
You don't have the 308 six with dual carbs and aluminum head, apparently. I'd shy away from a SBC 400 and go with a 350 or 383 stroker. The 400 was known to have weak rods and crank and is a bit harder to find some parts for. I'm not a Chevy man, but that's what I've been told. I do know some guys who run them, but high rpms will kill it -- usually break a rod eventually. There are plenty hot rod Hudsons around! They have a look similar to old 48-50 Mercurys, which are hard to find and more expensive when you do. It will look good, but don't get to carried away lowering it -- it's a little lower than most 50s cars as is. Look for some NASCAR Hudson. From 48-54 Hudsons won over 30% of NASCAR events! The only reason they stopped at 54 is that was the last year the true Hudson was built. 55-57 Hudsons were built on slightly restyled Nash bodies but still used the Hudson L-head sixes and instrument cluster. They didn't handle like the low "Step-Down" Hudsons did. The low CG is what made them win NASCAR, not power. They had plenty of that, especially low rpm torque, but there were cars like the 34? Chrysler Hemi and Buick V-8s running by 53. The Hudson drivers were STILL spanking them! In five years Hudsons won more races than any other single make. That record was held until the late 1980s, thirty years after the last Hudson ran! I think a few real Hudsons were allowed to run in 55, but with no factory backing only a few cars ran.

·
1950 Ford Custom
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is great info. Thanks a ton for the advice! How do you know all that? I just like the looks of the car. I had no idea about it's racing heritage. Your right, it is low already. I do want to put air suspension on it for another inch or two.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah thats some killer info the shield is on one of there logos. i picked up a 53 hudson a while back i cant wait to tear into that thing :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts