Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my new Jeg's catalogue tonight and I'm thinking about getting a strong street turbo 350. I notice that the Hughes turbo 350 costs about $300 more than the TCI Street Fighter trans. Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding these or B&Ms 350 transmissions? Thanks.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Look to see if they have shift kits installed or better than OEM clutches and steels and front pump. I would imagine all of them would have this but I would still check it out. But they are all reputable companies. Best way to go is to build your own. Pick up a trashed one for around 50 bucks and rebuild it. Saved me tons of money. Built one with B&M racing internals and TCI manual valve body all less than 500 dollars including the 100 for the core.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Used a TCI TH-400 in my pro street car (454) and it's still there 7 years later going strong. I don't own the car anymore but the current owner says the trans is working great.

·
Administrator
9,765 Posts
well lets see,

I build trannys for Hughes Performance. I've been at the tranny biz for many years.... Owned my first tranny shop in 1981.

I trained the guy that builds the t-350 trannys at Hughes Performance in Arizona. He took over the job from me several years ago.

I am a bit biased on which tranny you should purchase.

:D

Reactions: menoaz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take that as a plus vote for Hughes! Although I know there are some folks who work for a company but aren't thrilled with their product. Thanks.

Crosley said:
well lets see,

I build trannys for Hughes Performance. I've been at the tranny biz for many years.... Owned my first tranny shop in 1981.

I trained the guy that builds the t-350 trannys at Hughes Performance in Arizona. He took over the job from me several years ago.

I am a bit biased on which tranny you should purchase.

:D

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hughes vs TCI automatic vs local rebuild

Since I own a transmission shop,enjoy building performance transmissions and have learned a lot of neat tricks over the years,I tend to lean towards the local rebuild,lots of advantages,but not without pitfalls.A shop that can meet expectations will usually be well known in your area.I am surprised by the amount of people on this site who are interested and willing to work on their transmissions.So I was considering posting some performance tips,would like some input though,relative to interest.And yes I know,sometimes a little information can be a dangerous weapon,so I would like to see what you think about this Crosley.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With regard to having your own trasnmission rebuilt, mine is a Turbo 350C with the lock-up torque converter from (and still in) a 1980 Corvette. I've read somewhere on this forum that the 350C is a "light duty" trans. I have a custom built 2300 converter that is non-lock-up but supposed to fit on the 350C, but with a good rebuild will this trans work/hold up with a 400HP+ engine? Or should I just buy a new trans?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hughes vs TCI auto trans vs local rebuild

I posted some info 10-25-06,K5 blazer ,you might want to check out.To answer your question,if built correctly the 350c will do just fine,you will need a hardend intermediate sprag race.

·
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw
682 Posts
I have a hughes th350 and love it. I will find out what it can really do when I put my big block in. Also, when I bought my tranny they were only 50 dollars more than hughes at that time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts