Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Laissez les bons temps rouler
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, down here in New Orleans we are swamped with talk and panic of this storm. It doesn't look like it is going to New Orleans directly, but it will be close. Just about the entire city is evacuating, I-10 is currently all west bound, both sides! Here on the northshore of Lake Ponchatrain, the roads are packed with people getting out of town. It is unreal. I have been told by several people that it took them close to 3 hours to cross the Lake Ponchatrain Causeway bridge, it normally takes about 25 minutes to cross.

Here in my area it will be relatively safe, the only thing I am really worried about are the pine trees around my house. I will be staying home waitng it out and keeping an eye on things here. Hopefully I will not loose power, but if so I will be back on as soon as possible. Wish everybody down here luck, and pray for everyone staying.

Chris

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I read in the N.Y. Times today where Ivan is supposed to hit, good luck to everyone in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and of course Florida.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
akm said:
i would be doing some pruning of some heavy branches if i were you.

good luck

BTW, you may want to read this:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=1&u=/ap/vulnerable_new_orleans
If I could reach the tree tops I would be doing that too. these pines will flex a lot more than ya think.

Yeah that article is something every New Orleanian knows in the back of their mind. We have heard those things all our lives, but most of us are too damn stuborn to do anything about it :thumbup:

After watching the Weather Channel just about the whole day, it looks like we may be getting just the western side of the storm, which is the less severe side. I hope those guys in Mississippi are ready for the eastern side and the surge waters.

Chris

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, not quite. It is still supposed to make a turn to the east before it hits land.

This is a picture I got from the weather channel website. The arrow shows approximetly where my house is at.

Chris

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
well its 11:30 and ivan is about to hit pensacola, my aunt lives in pace just west of there she is now staying with friends in montgomery ala. tonight. there has already been reports of a tornado in pensacola i have my fingers crossed that the house will be there when she gets back. were more concerned about wind damage because she is on higher ground away from the ocean

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Hope everything works out for everyone getting hit. This has been a really bad year for this stuff. Rich I hear that a summer with lots of Hurricanes is usually a sign of a bad winter, I guess you and I will have to break out the tire chains.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts