Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hurst Pro Matic on my TH400 and for a long while I couldn't get low gear. The shifter wouldn't 'click' down that last ratchet and it took me a while to get around to adjusting the cable on the retainer plate at the box. Well I finally did it and now I can get low gear. But! what a disaster for everything else now.

Starting off in low, one click forward and it goes to 2nd, no probs. Then another click into what should be top on the shifter does nothing in the box, it stays in 2nd. I need to click it up another into N on the shifter to get it to change into top. Now that is already a safety problem as the inhibitor switch allows the car to start with the trans in gear. Then it gets worse, to get neutral I have to lift the gate as if I'm putting it in reverse but only go half way there. Same with getting it into reverse, its half way to park. Park works fine.

Anyone ever had this problem? Is it in the box or the shifter? Where to I start to fix it, I think I need to change the length of the pivot to the cable attachment on either the box or the shifter.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sounds like the shift arm of the transmission is the incorrect length, or is the incorrect length for your shifter.
In the shifter, the distance where the cable connects to the pivot point, needs to be the same distance on the arm of the transmission. The radius distance needs to be the same, so when your shifter moves a certain length the transmission shift arm will move the same amount.
Hope this is not too confusing.
Best of luck with your shift problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, makes sense. So I need to take off the shift arm, weld up the hole, measure the pivot length on the shifter, then redrill the hole to be the same length. Easy :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I may have found the problem, and its not to do with the transmission shift arm length. The cable has free play i.e. if the cable is attached firmly at one end, the other end can travel in and out some 6-8mm. I don't know if this is normal for a Hurst shifter cable, but I do know that if the slack was not there the shifter would work fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.