Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 66 chevelle I have a saginaw 4 speed with a hurst shifter. I am going to replace the saginaw with a muncie 4 speed (a 1970 M-20). Will my shifter and linkage work with the muncie? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,015 Posts
jjpodlas said:
In my 66 chevelle I have a saginaw 4 speed with a hurst shifter. I am going to replace the saginaw with a muncie 4 speed (a 1970 M-20). Will my shifter and linkage work with the muncie? Any help will be appreciated.
Saginaw and Muncie transmissions have the shift arms in different places (reverse is on the tailhousing on the Muncie, it's in the side cover on the Saginaw), so I'm going to say no.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nope......it won't work and I tried every trick in da book to modify one to make it work. Just bite the bullet and go buy a new shifter. Brand new ones with new bushing and gromments are so much nicer than swap meet stuff that has been cut and welded on. Take my word for this......

Xtremely Fast Eddie
Deep East Texas

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
The Hurst shifter body itself will work, and the mounting plate, but you will have to buy a new linkage kit for the correct arms and link rods. You won't need to get a whole new shifter if yours is in good shape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.