Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help with the spring clips that go on the ends of the shifter rods on a Hurst Shifter. Nothing is mentioned in the instructions which way they should be inserted. I assumed that they are postioned so that there is tension against the arm to prevent them from ratteling, but it seems like they have a tendency to pop out after a while in that position. Inserted the other way it is slightly loose, but seems like they hold better. Which way is correct? or should I just use old reliable cotter pins and another washer

·
Registered
534 Posts
GCD1962 said:
Need a little help with the spring clips that go on the ends of the shifter rods on a Hurst Shifter. Nothing is mentioned in the instructions which way they should be inserted. I assumed that they are postioned so that there is tension against the arm to prevent them from ratteling, but it seems like they have a tendency to pop out after a while in that position. Inserted the other way it is slightly loose, but seems like they hold better. Which way is correct? or should I just use old reliable cotter pins and another washer

To the best of my recollection they go on to hold slack out of the arm, the little center pin that is slightly crooked should point outward when installed.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Dunno if they've changed, but the comp plus I used in the 80s ran the clips dome out - you had to flatten the clips to fit them.
They never came loose, but on wet dirt roads the shifter would fill up with mud. Many times with only one or two gears left I'd limp into a country town, pull the shift boot, steam clean the shifter and pour a can of wd40 through it to get home.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You are all correct. They shouldnt rattle loose or fall off though, make sure you get the curved part completely seated around the linkage. I noticed while recently installing a Hurst shifter, that I had to "help" it seat fully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.