Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 79 Chevy c10 with a 350, Saginaw 4 speed and a Hurst shifter. i recently bought the truck. I was told there was a problem with the transmission and/or shifter. i pulled the tranny out, pulled the side cover and everything is in good shape. i installed new bushings on all the shift rods put the tranny back in and on the first drive i had some problems shifting in the gears. at a stop sign i attempted to shift into first but it wouldn't go. it was almost like it was stuck in 2 gears. after i was kinda rough with it it finally came out of gear. i drove it back to the house but was still having problems getting it into the correct gears. could somebody please point me in the right direction.

·
Administrator
9,963 Posts
Welcome to Hotrodders

I edited the thread title. There is no need to beg for help here. Proper information in the thread title helps the membership help you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gettin closer

OK so i just crawled under and put a bolt in the shifter to hold the rods in the correct position. i had to adjust 3rd-4th gear rod about 8 turns to get it right. i had to adjust 1st-2nd gear rod 2 turns to get it right. now the problem im having is when i shift back to neutral from 4th sometimes it will try to stay in gear. Also it wont go into 1st from a stopped position i have to shift from 2nd to get it to go into 1st.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
more instructions

enlarge the exploded view in the Chevy, link the tool is item 17
in the following link item 3 is the 1/4 in L tool
http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/500/530/530-373-3163.pdf
in the hurst info you can see the 1/4 in L tool

I had a T 10 4 speed behind a small block Ford that looked good inside but I still had shifting problems, then changed engines to a 401 buick, auto.

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
Its not in the shifter its the Saginaw trans (my opinion) they are notorious for this It needs refreshing a basic kit costs around 150 dollars if you have the ability to do it yourself. But if your paying a shop to do it, you may do better to find a good Super T 10 or Muncie M 22 or 21 they are much better transes! and a new saginaw runs about 800 dollars average!

The Hurst shifter for the Saganaw and installation kit has its own inherent problems Its just a crapy shifter when used with the adapter kit the stock saginaw shifter works better if not wore out and is easier to adjust.

Jester

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I bet your slider, shift fork or the engagement teeth on the 1st gear are pretty worn. It'll need a rebuild. If you're on the east coast, I can recommend a few guys for parts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,384 Posts
Has anyone considered the clutch may be dragging a bit. It sure will make one want to stay in gear as well as keep it from going into gear.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when i had the side cover off the shift forks looked good. although i probably should have measured them. the synchros looked worn but i thought they were probably still good. i was test shifting both ways. when it is not running it shifts a little smoother than when it is running. ill crawl under again and check my linkage again just to be sure. if i still cant get it figured out i guess ill pull the shifter out and take it apart and check for wear there. if it looks alright ill pull the tranny and check the clutch out. also i would like to thank all you guys for your help. much appreciation

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heres what i got so far

ok so heres where in at. i pulled the shifter, drilled and tapped the holes for the stop bolts theraded the bolts in, bolted the shifter back in hooked up the linkages correctly. got in the truck, ran it through the gears and it was smooth like butter. then i start the truck run it through the gears and i have the same problem as before cant get 1st without going to 2nd and so on.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,384 Posts
ok so heres where in at. i pulled the shifter, drilled and tapped the holes for the stop bolts theraded the bolts in, bolted the shifter back in hooked up the linkages correctly. got in the truck, ran it through the gears and it was smooth like butter. then i start the truck run it through the gears and i have the same problem as before cant get 1st without going to 2nd and so on.
I am going to suggest this for the second time and then mind my own business. If it shifts properly until you start the engine, it is probably not a transmission problem but a dragging clutch issue. Make sure your clutch is properly adjusted or not worn out.

If I am miss-understanding what you are trying to say, I apologize.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanx

thanks john ill jack it up in the morning and pull the trans out and see whats going on with the clutch. i just wanted to eliminate the shifter before i pulled the trans back out.:thumbup:

·
Slow but willing learner
5,384 Posts
thanks john ill jack it up in the morning and pull the trans out and see whats going on with the clutch. i just wanted to eliminate the shifter before i pulled the trans back out.:thumbup:
Before you pull the trans just try to adjust the clutch so it releases well above the floor. A worn out clutch will run out of free travel at the top and still drag at the bottom but if it is just out of adjustment you will have too much free travel at the top and it will release too close to the floor.

If it is a hydraulic clutch that opens up another can of worms.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when i had the trans out before i noticed the input shaft had worn spots from where the clutch plate had been working on it. kinda like it had been flopping around or something

·
Registered
189 Posts
Another idea is maybe someone put the wrong linkage on it. I used to run a vertical gate/ muncie 4 spd with stock chevy linkage and had nothing but problems. Went out of adjustment a lot, stuck between gears etc. Vertical gate had straight linkage, mine was twisty like factory cheby.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts