Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Colorsanding painter
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why HVLP air cap paint cones form

I found out this weekend that you can push too much pressure through an HVLP. It ends up resulting in paint "cones" on the air cap. I've had it happen one time before and my buddy Jimmy and I had a discussion about that this weekend. He proved to me that 20PSI at the gun on my Sata RP results in an amazing finish. Better than I ever got running it at high pressure 40-60PSI at the gun. Just thought I'd post this up, I never had it explained to me how or why those cones formed that time.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Too much air + too wide pattern = "shooting a hole in the pattern" (cones)

I usually set the air, then set the pattern, then set the flow.

The guns that I use work best on about 8-10PSI at the inlet, (where you plug the hose) But they require a high volume of air.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
st3gamefarm said:
Too much air + too wide pattern = "shooting a hole in the pattern" (cones)

I usually set the air, then set the pattern, then set the flow.

The guns that I use work best on about 8-10PSI at the inlet, (where you plug the hose) But they require a high volume of air.
Hey neighbor, :welcome:

·
Colorsanding painter
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told previously to crank the wall regulator wide open and regulate it with the internal regulator. Now that Jimmy took me to school on this, I get better results with less overspray(Read that foggy booth). I can actually see clearly in the booth using this method.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
people will tell you lots of stuff,especialy here :nono: ...your boy Jimi sounds like he knows his sheet.it all comes with experiance.fun though ,isnt it? body & paint is the only thing thats held my interest,I love it... even after 35 years,I still cant wait to get to work...but who wouldnt love working on hot rods all day? I'd do it for free if I didnt have bills... :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Ahhh yes, One of my biggest problems and assets is as soon as I master something I loose interest and get bored (mabee its a.d.d.) therefore the longest I've ever worked any one shop was two years and that was only once.I sometimes think its a setback but I've learned so much from so many people,that I'd never change one thing even if I could,I even knew Big daddy Don Gartlits wnen I lived in Fla. ,what a cool guy but a ***** to work for(so I'm told) :mwink:you ever hear of someone going bonkers because the phillips tip screws that hold a rocker sill plate on were not all going in the same direction? no I wouldn't change a thing and I still learn new stuff every day.... from all kinds of people ,especialy here :welcome:

·
Colorsanding painter
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been painting the last fifteen years maybe five or six per year with lots of color sanding. The last two since Jimmy taught me to turn down the pressure to the gun didn't require any color sanding. It's like using my old Model 7 except without the cloud of overspray.

I've been turning wrenches on vehicles the last 28 years. Building engines, installing stereos and tv's, anything except rebuilding transmissions and upholstery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.