Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of people saying that their purple gun works good around 40 psi, set at the gun regulator. Is this with the trigger pulled? I drop about 10 psi when I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Milo, Not sure I get the question. It seems to drop roughly 10-12 psi when I squeeze the trigger. Do you mean it should be 23psi and not 40, or should drop from 40 to 23 when the trigger is engaged?

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
302 Z28 said:
In my experience 23lbs with trigger pulled is insufficient for proper atomization with the 43430 HVLP gun. I had best results setting the trigger pulled air pressure to 30-35psi for BC and 40-45psi for clear.

Vince

At least that psig figure!!!

And be prepared for overspray - which IMHO, is the single biggest downfall of this otherwise acceptable gun. Of course, overspray is wasted paint and at the price of today's paints, there are better choices for spray guns.

Primers - fine - they are still reasonably priced

(Sorry Vince - after using an Iwata........ :D :D but then I've voiced my opinion before :welcome: )

Dave W

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
no 2 of those guns are the same. i bought one just to see if it was ok for primer. mine was an absolute pos . it went in the dumpster. by the time i got enough air to it i was loosing 40% of product and could not see. an iwata will pay for its self in one job.

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
what i'm saying vince is some of them will not adjust. we worked with the one i bought and never did get it to spray right. it's a cheap gun will little to no qc so you dont know what to expect. an hvlp that needs 40 to 50 at the gun is just not going to do the job. you said yours worked ok. i'm saying mine was junk for what ever reason. with the price of clears alone it is a no win if most goes into the air. they are also notorious for solvent pop . and i dont think anyone is going to try to compare a 35 dollar hf gun to an iwata. but the iwata will give him a much better chance at success than the hf gun.
i mentioned the iwata because dave brought it ,up excuse me for having an opinion .

·
Registered
135 Posts
shine said:
what i'm saying vince is some of them will not adjust. we worked with the one i bought and never did get it to spray right. it's a cheap gun will little to no qc so you dont know what to expect. an hvlp that needs 40 to 50 at the gun is just not going to do the job. you said yours worked ok. i'm saying mine was junk for what ever reason. with the price of clears alone it is a no win if most goes into the air. they are also notorious for solvent pop . and i dont think anyone is going to try to compare a 35 dollar hf gun to an iwata. but the iwata will give him a much better chance at success than the hf gun.
i mentioned the iwata because dave brought it ,up excuse me for having an opinion .

Shine speaking of iwata....I wonder if the NEW iwata comming out will be any better than what we have now ??

52F1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses. I sprayed some epoxy primer at around 32psi w/trigger pulled. The primer itself came out okay, although I did notice a few body problems afterward. I'll be putting on the paint on Monday (within my 3 day window).

As for the quality of the gun, you need to take into account that I don't know **** :D That being said, I think a better gun would be disappointed with my usage. Seriously though, if I think I'll be doing this more, a better gun would be a consideration. But I'm just doing a few panels right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.