Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be putting a ZZ4 with a Muncie 4 speed in my project and want to use a hydraulic clutch set up. Problem is-----I'VE NEVER SEEN A HYDRAULIC CLUTCH SETUP UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL. The brake/clutch master cylinder came with a slave cyl. but I need to know where to mount it, do I need a different throw out bearing. Is there any place I can go on the web that will have diagrams. Any help will be mucho appreciated.
Tom

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
just think of it this way, the slave cylinder will now become the linkage too the throwout bearing. The mounting problems will be two fold. First you would want to make a bracket to mount the slave cylinder , and the second problem to solve is the connection of the slave cylinder to the throwout bearings mounting fork (arm). To see this application you want to look under a VET, they are very common on that car . Not a hard project just takes some planing and engineering and most of that deals with the brackets, alignment of the fork and cylinder, while making sure the throw will fully disengage and engage the pressure plate. Hope this helps to sort it out a little for you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
you can also use a hydraulic throw out bearing,then you only have the master cylinder and a long hose to deal with,no slave cylinder or brackets. when I get into doing my 31 rod I'll try to get a lot of pic an info. don't know why this system hasen't taken off better, it has been on ford rangers for 20 years and last for 100,000 miles with no maintenance. that is impressive for a ford.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pepi. Appreciate the info. Do you use the same clutch fork or is there a special one for hydraulic clutches?

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I used all GM stuff in the 59 Elky
Bell housing/Slave for an 87 Chev/GMC
Master from an 88+ Chev GMC
Just to keep parts servicable---Problem---Hyd Hose is Dealer only for 87 and needed to be modified a bit--also have some French fittings.

The stroke on the Master is close to one inch---I lucked out that the clutch rod bracket that bolts to the pedal mounted where, All I had to do was remove the bracket and the original mounting hole gave me about 1-1/4" of travel.

Had to use a 7" brake booster for clearance---Straight shot from pedal to Master.

My Brake and clutch assy. are mounted on an 1/16" steel plate for additional cowl reinforcement (probably not necessary but I did it anyway).

I was lucky enough to have 2 parts/research vehicles to work with.

Bryan

Attachments

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
TBear said:
Thanks Pepi. Appreciate the info. Do you use the same clutch fork or is there a special one for hydraulic clutches?
Good question , I do not remember, just notice how the mechanical linkage connects and compare the slave cylinder shaft, if it is different not a problem cause you could just get the GM part (fork) and that would take of it. Remember the Vett has this as a stock set up. The bearing forks only difference would be the external connection to the slave.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts