Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a T5 behind a 4.3L Chevy V6 as power for my '23 track T. Because there's no room between the frame rails and bellhousing for mechanical linkage, or even an external slave cylinder, I must use a concentric hydraulic release bearing that fits over the bearing retainer. The prices seem to run from reasonable to ridiculous with Ram being the least expensive to the McLeod which is over twice as much. How about some advice or opinions on these units? Thanks,

Bob

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
Quarter master, Tilton, Ram will all be good. Howe makes a good one too.

What clutch are you using? a stock clutch type single disk? if so I would go with Rams street stuff.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>What clutch are you using? a stock clutch type single disk? if >so I would go with Rams street stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably try the Ram release bearing simply because it's the least expensive ($118) and I can't get a consensus that any of the others is superior. Clutch will be the stock Astro Van 11" diaphragm style. That works out well because I'm using a V6 F body T5 with the 1" X 14 spline input and it matches the stock Astro Van clutch disk splines.

Bob

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
They use the 3/4 or 7/8 bore M/C.

The stock might be 1", if so, the fingers on the clutch might make a slightly stiff pedal. I like a stiff pedal though feel it out for your self.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using a 3/4" bore Wilwood MC. Clutch pedal bracket and MC will mount under dash on interior side of firewall. MC will be turned 90º and operated through a bellcrank. This keeps it all tucked in out of sight. The bellcrank also lets me fine tune the pedal feel because I'll be able to make adjustments in the pivot points. This is all still in the development stage, and as you know there's not much room in the typical T body for 3 pedals. So far, it seems like it's going to work.

Bob

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>have you thought about a floor mount reverse set up instead of >the bell crank idea?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make the most of what little space I have in the footwell. When I build the frame years ago, I set it up for a TH350. The change to the T5 is recent. The brake master cylinder is under the floor, pedal coming up through it in traditional T bucket style, but not enough room to bring the clutch pedal up through the floor left of the steering column. To make matters worse, there's not enough room between frame rail and transmission to put the clutch and brake m.c.'s side by side. Swinging the pedal from under dash and turning m.c. 90º puts it all in a neat package, out of sight and no clutter on engine side of firewall.

Bob

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While on the subject of hydraulic release bearings, there's a critical element that I need to finalize my design. The manufacturers all specify what bore dia. m.c. to use (generally .75"), they give the maximum allowable extension, then they caution one not to over extend it because the o-ring seal will blow out. Why don't they specify the volume of fluid required to reach maximum extension?? If they did, I could determine what m.c. stroke to design around and could finalize my linkage dimensions. For example, the .75" bore m.c. would displace .045 cubic inches of fluid for each .10" of travel. How does that relate to extension of the release bearing? Guess I'll have to make a call to the manufacturer.

Bob

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,648 Posts
My '91 Jeep Comanche P/U had this setup, I'm sure there are other stock parts and even junkyard stuff out there that won't cost a fortune...

Russ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts