Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, anyone try to buy a set of roller lifters lately? I thought I was going to order a new cam and lifters for my 400 but it's looking pretty thin out there. I wanted the Howards max effort. Summit has nothing but comp. The date they give on Howards is March and Jeg's is saying January but I don't trust Jeg's. I called Competition Products because I thought they were a sister company to Howards and the salesman said they have NO hydraulic lifters and he has no date when they will be available. What's everyone else been doing?

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Hard to find.

I just wanted a distributor rotor, I spent better part of an evening on the web to finally find the one I needed and it was clear across the country and the only one that shop had in stock.

Bogie

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey Guys, anyone try to buy a set of roller lifters lately? I thought I was going to order a new cam and lifters for my 400 but it's looking pretty thin out there. I wanted the Howards max effort. Summit has nothing but comp. The date they give on Howards is March and Jeg's is saying January but I don't trust Jeg's. I called Competition Products because I thought they were a sister company to Howards and the salesman said they have NO hydraulic lifters and he has no date when they will be available. What's everyone else been doing?
I got REALLY lucky a month ago and bought the last set of hydraulic rollers for a BBC that Lunati had in stock. No clue when they'll have them in stock again. Camshafts seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth too. I've been collecting parts for my 489 build since early last year and it looks like I'll be waiting another year for parts to become available to finish it.

Ahhh the joys of hotrodding!

·
Registered
348 Posts
There has been a camshaft core and hydraulic lifter shortage since spring. It seems that the last couple manufacturers decided to focus on the more faster moving camshafts and lifters due to material and labor shortage. You would think SBC camshafts and lifter would be a number one seller, but in reality they are only like 25% of their business.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got a set of ls7 hydraulic rollers ( direct replacement for the gen 2 lt1) about 4 months ago, had no issues then, went through lsxceleration.com, don’t know if those would work for you or if they even still have any, good luck on your search

·
Registered
13 Posts
The only lifters you want for a small block to not be adjusting constantly are the Morel brand. Made in Michigan. Believe me I researched this for about six months after getting a new thumper competition cam free of charge from another chevelles.com member.$300 value easily. I decided to go back to regular hydraulics when the prices I was quoted were between 650 and $800. So I would’ve been in over $1000 just in cam and lifters.
I’m on vacation right now I don’t have the specifics with me but if you’re interested let me know and I will post them when I get home tomorrow.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Since most everything is made in China either in whole or as internal parts for assembly here and Xi wants Formosa/Taiwan inside the tent peeing out instead of outside peeing in he is forcing part shortages on the world since industry tripped all over itself to move there since Nixon’s trip to China to take advantage of cheap labor and lax environmental regulation. Now the bill is coming due, surrender Formosa/Taiwan or do without. This just isn’t all that hard to understand.

Even in the condition of wholly made American items the secondary effect from the above paragraph is that there is not sufficient domestic industrial capacity anymore to meet demand if China for what ever reason isn’t stepping up to the plate.

Bogie

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I had to wait over a year for some machined parts from Italy. The problem with a global supply chain is that any link can fail and then the whole process grinds to a stop. Malaysia and India is where industry is moving, and China will have huge factories sitting empty, like Mexico saw 25 years ago

1 - 13 of 13 Posts