Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add hydroboost to my 71 Chevelle, and I've been thinking where I can get it from, other than spending 600+ from hydratech.
Anyone know some donor cars that will be an easy swap?

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
GM light duty trucks with a diesel, also some gas engined had them. The co. I used to work for had a mid 90's Chevy 3500 HD w/454 5-speed it had a hydroboost.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard that in order to get one to work with my chevelle I would need to shorten the shaft.
But only thing im really worried about is how they mount to the firewall.
If possible I would like to find one that is a direct fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try looking at the wrecking yards for I believe 93 up Astro Vans. They have them installed and they are real easy to swap out.Make sure the one you get is not leaking from any of the seals between the joints.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hydroboost

try a 1985 chevy full size wagon . my 85 had a 305 with a hydroboost brake system .those brakes worked great. good luck.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Back in 77 I bought a new Ford Country Squire 460 wagon to pull my trailer and it had the hydroboost on it. I liked it. I have used them since on rods.

I am pretty sure I know of an 80 Mercury Monarch Deluxe with buckets and console that looks like a Versailles without the phony top (Granada/ Versailles) that has the hydroboost in it. I got the rear end out of it 4 years ago and the front end/discs parts went into a Falcon. I have been considering putting "that" hydroboost system into my rod if the car still exists.

They might have been "trailer towing package" cars only, since they are pretty rare.

I'm just saying that cars used them 30 years ago, whether Ford or Chevy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the ideas guys!
I called the salvage yard today, but they did not have the guy in who deals with that portion of their business, go figure.
Anyway, I'll be calling back tommorow.
Is there anything other than the actual hydroboost unit that I need to use?
Is a stock power steering pump enough to power the unit?

·
5,122 Posts
69ChevelleAddict said:
Thanks for all the ideas guys!
I called the salvage yard today, but they did not have the guy in who deals with that portion of their business, go figure.
Anyway, I'll be calling back tommorow.
Is there anything other than the actual hydroboost unit that I need to use?
Is a stock power steering pump enough to power the unit?

As far as I know the stock PS pump works fine. All you have to do is plumb the brakes in series with the steering. I'd get all the hoses you can from the donor car.... they might save you a lot of money compared to fabrication.

Especially if your stuff comes off a Chevy I would get everything related including the brake pedal push rod.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
don't knock the can on the side, you'll kill yourself if it blows. 3000 PSI of fluid preassure wouldn't be pretty :pain: because it probably will have residual preassure in the reserve can.

·
5,122 Posts
matt167 said:
don't knock the can on the side, you'll kill yourself if it blows. 3000 PSI of fluid preassure wouldn't be pretty :pain: because it probably will have residual preassure in the reserve can.

What do you think is the best way to bleed off the accumulator pressure? Pump the brakes?

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
xntrik said:
What do you think is the best way to bleed off the accumulator pressure? Pump the brakes?
yep, but even then, it could still have preassure, that's why they have to be discharged b4 they are opened up for rebuild, that's why they don't sell rebuild kits for them, there to dangerouse to rebuild unless you have the tooling to do so.. there suppose to hold enough accumulated preassure for about 6 hard stops, depressing the pedal 7 times should be enough to saftly remove the unit. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to have to wait until next week to call junkyards, they are all closed this week.
Will the hoses from the hydroboost unit work with my stock power steering pump/gearbox?

·
Registered
497 Posts
To my Rolls Royce sleeper I have added hydro-boost brakes from a caddy(diesel). I bought it new from NAPA($160). I also am using the Caddy ps unit which has a extra return line.

Don Meyer

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed a Hydro-boost unit from a later 1995 Astro into my 1989 model. You have to make up some new lines if you are using and engine that has the PS pump mounted on the passenger side. My LT1 was like that so I had to make new pressue hoses and return lines.

This is what an Astro van unit looks like :

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats it? Coulda swore it was a bit bigger.
Hm you would know better than i would anyway ha.
Now, the stock MC will work with this unit?
Sorry Im new to this hydroboost stuff :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.