Hot Rod Forum banner

I AM SO STUPID !!

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  johnnymopar 
#1 ·
You don't have to agree with me on that..

Anyway, i was trying to get the front glass out of my car in one piece. It didn't quite go as planned. I have a '47 plymouth with 2-piece glass. I managed to destroy the left side. I was trying to get everything out in tact so i could reuse the weatherstripping. Now with one piece of glass broken, what should i do? Do i cut out the remaining piece to use as a template for new glass? Or should i just worry about saving the weatherstripping? I will have to replace both pieces of glass now anyway because it'll look odd with one new piece and one old. Does anybody know what i can expect to pay for glass and/or weatherstripping?

Thanks in advance,

JB

#2 ·
I was faced with a similar situation to yours once. If the broken glass is only in a few pieces I would save it and tape it all back together and use it for a template. If its broken into a hundred pieces, I would make a new template out of plywood and scrap the old glass. Prices vary around the country but I bought a piece of safety glass custom cut for a 30 ford a few years ago for $125.00. I used the plywood template I made myself.

#3 ·
I think the weather striping is available for your car. I would never try to use 50 yr old rubber parts unless they were simply not available.

#5 ·
you can get the new rubber from Steele, I think they have a web page, if not, Hemming's Motor News will have their add. They have almost everything dealing with rubber for your car. You could use an aftermarket (S-10)type gasket if you do away with any chrome surround around the glass, and put in a two piece V-butted glass. Most decent glass shops can do this kinda work now. Got a buddy with a '48 Plymouth coupe that is too cool with the V-butt glass, he also removed his side vent windows,it is one super nice car.

#7 ·
HEY JOHNNY NO ONE ASKED BUT DID YOU TRY TO TAKE THE GLASS OUT FROM THE OUTSIDE OR THE INSIDE???

ALL CARS TODAY THE GLASS SETS FROM THE OUTSIDE, NOT TRUE OF THE CAR YOUR WORKING ON

IF YOU KNEW ALL THIS I CERTAINLY DIDN'T MEAN TO IMPLY THAT YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE KNOWN THIS

BOMO ;)

#8 ·
bomo,

i was trying to push the glass from outside the car. I thought i could get one corner started and it would come right out, but wasn't so lucky. I got the corner out alright, and it broke the glass. I didn't want to do the same on the pass. side so i just cut it out. Actually had a hard time getting the weatherstripping out because it was sealed in - front and back. On the rear glass i didn't take any chances and just cut the rubber to get the glass out in one piece.

Now i'm in the market for two new pieces of glass and weatherstripping for the front.

JB

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: johnnymopar ]

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: johnnymopar ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.