Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its been one thing after another with this truck after i drove 2,000 miles in 7 days (take a break and enjoy some scenery).

Ive researched this and cant come up with a DEFINITE diagnosis so I dont throw hundreds into a 10 buck fix!:spank: OIL FROM #1 PLUG YOU CAN SEE WHERE IT PIZZED ALL OVER MOTOR MOUNT...FYI...((CENTERBOLT VALVE COVERS))

#1 spark plug only has this issue after changing to a smaller carb

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INPUT! PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!

1991 Chevy 1500 ext. cab 3.73 gears ZZ4 motor 10.1 comp. 700R4 sea level elev. rebuilt 1406 Edelbrock 600 converted to man. choke

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
With the way the oil(?) is sprayed/spritzed on the mount, I would try changing the spark plug(to be sure the plug is sealing correctly) but that doesn't solve the oil issue. Could be a combo of leaking valve cover and compromised spark plug or bad plug and leaking valve guides, have you removed the plug to see how it is burning? Good luck.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
First you have to determine if you have a problem with a valve seal or valve guide. I would remove the spark plug and use a Spark Plug Thread Chaser to clean the threads and any dirt out of the hole. Sears.com Then install new spark plug and torque to 20 ft. lbs. This is so it can't be said the plug was loose or too tight. Never use any lube or sealer. Clean all the oil where it was dripping. Then watch to see if the leak starts again. Make sure it is not coming from valve cover. Another thing about the V.C. gaskets I have heard that the center bolt fel pro gaskets leak. It was recommended to use GM gaskets or Napa gaskets.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
Its been one thing after another with this truck after i drove 2,000 miles in 7 days (take a break and enjoy some scenery).

Ive researched this and cant come up with a DEFINITE diagnosis so I dont throw hundreds into a 10 buck fix!:spank: OIL FROM #1 PLUG YOU CAN SEE WHERE IT PIZZED ALL OVER MOTOR MOUNT...FYI...((CENTERBOLT VALVE COVERS))

#1 spark plug only has this issue after changing to a smaller carb

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INPUT! PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!

1991 Chevy 1500 ext. cab 3.73 gears ZZ4 motor 10.1 comp. 700R4 sea level elev. rebuilt 1406 Edelbrock 600 converted to man. choke
Is that a shadow above the plug or is something leaking above it from the header?

Bogie

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the way the oil(?) is sprayed/spritzed on the mount, I would try changing the spark plug(to be sure the plug is sealing correctly) but that doesn't solve the oil issue. Could be a combo of leaking valve cover and compromised spark plug or bad plug and leaking valve guides, have you removed the plug to see how it is burning? Good luck.

I will take it out on another drive with putting load on the motor and check plugs again, i checked that #1 plug the other day so maybe my handtight wasnt tight enough or the spark plug isnt sealing on aluminum heads right.
I will pull that plug and check it after the drive too and report back. Thanks!!!!!!!:welcome:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First you have to determine if you have a problem with a valve seal or valve guide. I would remove the spark plug and use a Spark Plug Thread Chaser to clean the threads and any dirt out of the hole. Sears.com Then install new spark plug and torque to 20 ft. lbs. This is so it can't be said the plug was loose or too tight. Never use any lube or sealer. Clean all the oil where it was dripping. Then watch to see if the leak starts again. Make sure it is not coming from valve cover. Another thing about the V.C. gaskets I have heard that the center bolt fel pro gaskets leak. It was recommended to use GM gaskets or Napa gaskets.
even if the centerbolt valve covers leak, its impossible for them to leak down the inner wall through the head and make it onto the plug right?????????
Thread chase it, i might try that, valve guides and top end stuff i dont want to get into until i narrow the easiest quickest fixes nixed first. Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
make sure the wire gets put back on straight and all the way too
Yes sir, these wires are old and dont snap back in and lock. Im ordering full tune up stuff here in a minute incase i have a timing issue and plug wire issue with cracks etc.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
no, the leak is just below the plug, there might be some residual stain around where you can see it has leaked from the #1 plug socket
In another reply you mentioned the heads are aluminum, that concerns me that the threads in the head for the plug may be failing.

Bogie

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that a shadow above the plug or is something leaking above it from the header?

Bogie
In another reply you mentioned the heads are aluminum, that concerns me that the threads in the head for the plug may be failing.

Bogie
Yes sir, i believe it worries me a bit too.
-Cleaned the area up and found the plug was loose when doing so. Tightened after a thurough cleaning, drove truck for 20 min. variable RPM ranges and checked. Its good. Ordering tune up stuff including new AC DELCO heat range 4 plugs and going to swap my old carb cause this edelbrock is kickin' my a** !!!!!! Thank you

·
More for Less Racer
19,365 Posts
You're not using a tapered seat plug in an aluminum head are you?? It should be a gasketed style plug with aluminum heads.

You ARE using a very sparse amount of anti-sieze paste on the plug threads, aren't you??. Pretty much mandatory with aluminum heads.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're not using a tapered seat plug in an aluminum head are you?? It should be a gasketed style plug with aluminum heads.

You ARE using a very sparse amount of anti-sieze paste on the plug threads, aren't you??. Pretty much mandatory with aluminum heads.

Negative on the tapered seat HOWEVER, the stock plugs are ACDelco 05614210

Thank you for the heads up, never crossed my mind on the anti sieze (forgot but will deffinately add with new plugs in small dabs) outstanding!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya this is a tapered plug im getting that comes factory with it. The one you mentioned, was that the factory plug at some point???? What year do you know? Thanks!:welcome:

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
ya this is a tapered plug im getting that comes factory with it. The one you mentioned, was that the factory plug at some point???? What year do you know? Thanks!:welcome:
Now I'm confused, Eric told you about not using a tapered plug in aluminum heads, are you saying here you are going to?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts