Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the engine in last night. It's finally a V8 bug. Haha.

I've managed to get one bolt completely through the mount and the other is in but not through the back of the metal mount plate. I've got to move the rear of the engine about an inch towards the passenger side so it can go all the way through.

On another note, the engine fits great but I'll have to raise the body about 3" to clear the breather and the alternator. Seems dropping the body 6" around the frame was a tad too much. I might have to buy me a lower mounting alternator bracket for a short water pump. Maybe the one I have will fit after I raise the body, but we'll see.

One great thing is the dist. clears the wiper motor compartment by about 2". That's with the motor all the way forward in the mounts so I've got a little wiggle room to move the engine back slightly if needed.

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
I would relocate the alternator and find another option for the air cleaner. Raising the body three inches won't look right, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

What would a three inch cowl induction hood look like on a bug?

It will be sweet when done. :thumbup:

·
No substitute for cubic inches
211 Posts
That's pretty slick looking. :thumbup: I believe I would try to swing the Alt. off the bottom side of the mount and pickup a bolt hole somewhere for the tensioner to mount. This should totally take it out of the hood.

Tony

·
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ford Junkie said:
That's pretty slick looking. :thumbup: I believe I would try to swing the Alt. off the bottom side of the mount and pickup a bolt hole somewhere for the tensioner to mount. This should totally take it out of the hood.

Tony
I'm going to give that a try and see if it work. Thanks for the suggestion. :welcome:

·
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts
221 Posts
Looking good Matt. :D

I hope to be that far along with our V8 convertible bug one day.......... No overtime at work has caused a lack of money for the project lately :(

Luckily we are starting to get busier at work though.

I've been thinking about moving the alt. on our beetle too because it looks like its going to be in the way of the hood, I think our air cleaner will be alright though. But I'm not dropping our bug as much as you did.

I'm going to be building a log cabin this weekend our I'd be working on our beetle this weekend................

Good luck with the new house and getting married, and I can't wait to see your beetle when it done.

Talk to you later

bye

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I'd leave the big air cleaner on it and build the hood accordingly, leaving a clean cold air shot to the filter and blocking off radiator air. I'd use something like a big turkey baster pan, cut 4 holes in it with a hole saw, bolt it to the manifold, then bolt the carb and filter into the pan, sealing the top of the pan with foam to the underside of the hood. Cut the hood so it conforms to the outline of the pan, then fashion a hood scoop to bring in fresh air. It's hard to explain, but I can visualize it in my mind. And maybe not a real turkey baster pan, but you get the idea. Maybe fashion a pan from sheet aluminum. I didn't get the reputation for being a little odd for no reason :eek: :thumbup:

·
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zbhover said:
Looking good Matt. :D

I hope to be that far along with our V8 convertible bug one day.......... No overtime at work has caused a lack of money for the project lately :(

Luckily we are starting to get busier at work though.

I've been thinking about moving the alt. on our beetle too because it looks like its going to be in the way of the hood, I think our air cleaner will be alright though. But I'm not dropping our bug as much as you did.

I'm going to be building a log cabin this weekend our I'd be working on our beetle this weekend................

Good luck with the new house and getting married, and I can't wait to see your beetle when it done.

Talk to you later

bye
Thanks zbhover. Great to hear things are picking back up art work and you'll make some extra cash to go towards your project, which is looking really good BTW. You've made some quick progress in a pretty short amount of time so I'm sure you'll be caught up sooner than later. :D

Thanks for the good luck wishes. After the wedding in Nov. I'll be able to finally splurge on the project which should help move it along pretty quickly.

TTYL

·
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
techinspector1 said:
I'd leave the big air cleaner on it and build the hood accordingly, leaving a clean cold air shot to the filter and blocking off radiator air. I'd use something like a big turkey baster pan, cut 4 holes in it with a hole saw, bolt it to the manifold, then bolt the carb and filter into the pan, sealing the top of the pan with foam to the underside of the hood. Cut the hood so it conforms to the outline of the pan, then fashion a hood scoop to bring in fresh air. It's hard to explain, but I can visualize it in my mind. And maybe not a real turkey baster pan, but you get the idea. Maybe fashion a pan from sheet aluminum. I didn't get the reputation for being a little odd for no reason :eek: :thumbup:
LOL, thanks for bring that up Tech. I know what you're talking about. I can visualize it as well from your description. Using a turkey baster would be the quick, easy and affordable route. I'll more than likely fabricate one. How much room should I leave around the air filter so air flow isn't restricted?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.