Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
A Half Crippled Old SOB....
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep i've been working on the beast

over the past few months i have fabbed up the body mounts out of 2x4 square tubing, the rear upper shock mounts out of the lowwer spring plate of a S10 and welded it to the frame & widened the lowwer shock mount from a VW mini truck (yes i'm a cheap SOB, but it's what i had & it works) for the lowwwer mount on the frame, boxed in part of the frame were i lenghtened the frame && i wanted to be able to remove the carrier bearing cross member, made the cross members out of a piece of thick wall stainless steel pipe i've had forever & was FREE.

here's a shot of the finished FRAME

and if it wasn't for my son i wouldn't have my driveshaft done yet either. the kid told me to sell his 350/700r4 combo & keep everything over $300. WELLLLLL there was enuff left over to pay for the driveshaft after the parts guy & myself did a little swapping of parts along w/the fact i happen to know the guy. i also had a guy i know from Texas call me up to do him a favor & he asked how my project was coming along. i told him my only BIGGG $$$$ item i really didnt have was a radiator. well he told me to get him the measurements & he would GIVE me one for FREE that he has in his shop that he said he'd never use. best part is it's already set up for for my caddy mtr, man i hope it fits...

well thats it for now, hopefully the body will be dropped back on the frame so i can make the firewall & start putting my brake system on. the rest of the pics are HERE

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Looking good....I enjoyed looking at all your pictures. :thumbup:

·
A Half Crippled Old SOB....
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nightfire said:
Looks like your son is back :confused:

Mike

nopeeeeeeeee, the pics of him were taken a couple of years ago. BUT he'll be home for Christmas & in Febuary before he goes to Iraq. i'm trying to get the beast road ready so i'll be able to at least give him a ride around the block. i wasnt able to give my pop a ride but i have to make an honest effect to try to get it done for my son. this is one of my MUST DO things. $$$$ is the only thing slowing me down, but isnt that what everyone down??........joe

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That will make a nice ride!!

The oldest Suburban based school bus I've ever seen was a 1937 on a one-ton dualwheel chassis that was for sale about 10 years ago at the Conroe TX swap meet at the fairgrounds. They wanted $750 for it.
Your conversion will make a great cruiser and darn nice camp vehicle. SInce we're into camping any vehicle old and big and nice is of interest.
Looks great, hope the boy enjoys his drive before leaving and enjoys it more when he returns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts