Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 year old son and I bought our new toy today. We picked up a 66 Galaxie 500. It is actually a pretty nice car, and it even runs really nice. We only gave $600 for it. Coupe, (289, 3 on the tree-for now). Plans are 429, 4 on the floor. Thanks for letting me let you know, We were just pretty excited.

The boys of Taters Salvage:

Mike & Chris :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
While I think it is great you and your son got a new cool project ... this has no real tech to the thread so ...
as the Moderator ... I am moving it to the lounge ... where members can read it and also enjoy your find and comment on it ... :thumbup:

Congratulations on having a son who wants to be like his Dad ... bring them up right and they will not stray ...

Deuce ... Moderator

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
A 66 Galaxie was one of my first (and favorite) cars ... at age 17.
They seemed to be the "new generation" at the time they were introduced.
There were at least 2 different grilles used in that year (Custom and XL trim levels?)

That little 289 was a nice powerplant, even for a "full-sized" car. It seemed to be much "snappier" than a 352-powered 65 Merc Montcalm that my Dad owned. (also a pretty neat car.)

I swapped my 289 out, however, for a 1971 351C - 4V.
It was an easy swap ... same engine/trans mounts and a 390 radiator.

IIRC, the engine / trans did fit a little further back, which required shortening the driveshaft slightly, and using a slightly longer fan spacer.

The FMX / stock convertor combination made that 351C a bit of a dog off the line, but she came on like gangbusters at about 3000 RPM. :thumbup:

I had a lot of fun with that old "sleeper".

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
Nice find! There's few nice 66's around here, one dark, dark blue with a 429 that's bad to the bone, GT looking hood scoop, awesome looking. Good luck with the project, keep us posted. Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts