Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. Sorry I haven't taken the time to introduce myself, but I've got a problem that is frustrating me to no end.
Got a 1972 Chevy Suburban, 4x4, 307 w/2 barrel carb. Just put a new carb on the beast, but I think I've done something wrong and can't figure out what. No matter what I do, its shooting gas out of the top of the carb. I've read the Chiltons, called my dad.........I can't for the life of me figure this one out, and I'm usually pretty good with these older model. My mechanic (who makes housecalls) is sick today, so calling him is out of the question. Besides, he'll be the first one to tell you he's not so good with carbs, lol. I NEED HELP!!! I'm tired of walking to town, and believe me that's a long ways!
Anybody who can help me, please reply here, or email me at [email protected]. I'm desperate.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
Fuel pressure, trash in needle and seat, wrong float, improperly set float.

That's a bowl vent and if you over fill the bowl....It's coming out the top.

Check the float and make sure it's not hanging up on the metering block if it's a holley.

What carb?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reply....I still hate carburetors

Guess I should have added that I just bought a rebuilt carb, lol. Been on the phone since I posted. Would you believe that there are mechanics out there that don't know what a carburetor is? Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Technology is wonderful

Yea Mark, I know how you feel! The carb I bought is the same carb that came on the engine, same numbers. That's not to say it's the carb that originally came on the engine (numbers are different according to my Chiltons). The gentleman (and I use that term loosely) that I got the truck from must of had one too many beers. Not only have I found things on the engine that are questionable, but he went thru the wiring with a pair of snips. The truck however, ran like a champ for the first two weeks I had it. It quit in the back yard, so the first thing I did was put a complete tuneup on it, i.e. points, plugs, wires, coil, etc. Got it running, put about 50 miles on it and it left me stranded on the highway. The rebuild kit that the parts store got me, wasn't for a carb, it was for a throttle body, which is why I went with another carb. I hate to send this one back, it was the only one in the warehouse and took two days to get here.
And so it goes.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
I have never had any luck with rebuilt carbs except for factory rebuilts. If you still have your old carb, buy a kit and a couple quarts of carb cleaner and rebuild it yourself. Why did you think the old carb was bad. They usually will run bad but not kill the vehicle totally.

·
Registered
201 Posts
might sound harsh, but sometimes a few good blows with the handle of a nice size screw driver to the top of the carb will unstick a hung float, might help, sometimes if you turn a carb upside down float will hang up. Wormy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting closer

Hey wormy, I prefer a bigger hammer myself, lol. As for why I went with another carb, as I refered to earlier, the rebuild kit the parts store got for me was actually for a throttle body. Needle valve and all was way too big for the carb. Hence, the new carb.
But we're getting closer, the engine actually popped. Now I'm charging the battery back to full power.
Cross your fingers!

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
Rebuilding a carb with new gasket's and carb cleaner is like rebuilding a engine with gasket's and carb cleaner, it doesn't repair the mechanical defiency's that exist. Remanufactured carb some times work okay but it depends on the buildup of the tolerances. Try a custom carb builder. For a small $100, you'll get a way better carb. For $300, you'll get a carb that would be hard to distuinquish between fuel injection that will last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not giving up

Well, I broke down and called my parts dude. After a lot of discussion, not to mention more money on my bill, I've got another carb coming in the morning. I believe that instead of the Rochester that was factory, this is a Holley.
Here's hoping it works.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Not trying to be smart, but why are you using a points ignition? best place for points is the trash. When it has bouts that it don`t want to run can be related to the points, that`s why GM went the HEI, it has a much hotter spark and it`s really maintanance free. As for the carb I agree with the others, float set too high, trash in the needle and seat, excessive fuel pressure. I don`t know if this can be done on the rochester 2 bll, but on Quadrajets you can take a skinny screw driver and ease it down into the vent hole and press down on the float gently with the engine running and it`ll blow all the trash out of the needle and seat assembly, this is a trick I`ve used many times in the past.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol.........

Mark, I personally agree with ya, but trying to find a Rochester with out traveling out of country can get really frustrating, lol. And DoubleVision, the points is what it came with, so it's what I'm stuck with until I change the whole engine. Eventually, you won't recognize this truck........I'm not going to keep it totally original, as I love extreme 4x4, but I will keep it street legal too, at least sorta......lol. I'll start posting pics as the project goes along.
But, as this is the only set of wheels I have at the moment, first things first....
Get it running!

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Jmark said:
Not to rain on your parade here but personally, trying to adapt a Holley 2bbl to your chevy will not be too easy. Lots of linkage differences and hose differences and the fuel inlet will need to be cut off the stock metal line then some kind of rubber hose run to the carb. Plus the kickdown for the trans will most likely need some mods....just not something i'd personally want to try for a daily driver.

Mark
You are probably correct but not necessarily, Holley made an Economaster series and had a direct replacement 2 bbl. for the older Rochesters, it even resembled the Rochester slightly. There are still quite a few NOS pieces floating around in parts warehouses. If he got lucky and has one of those coming it should bolt right up. Otherwise you are absolutely right he's in for a lot of "adapting".

As to what has been previously said about "Remanufactured" carbs, that was usually my experience with them, wrong parts, torn gaskets, damaged threads and on and on and on............. :pain: I'll gladly pay more for an old crusty core with snug throttle shafts and all it's parts intact that doesn't look like it's ever been apart than I will for a "Rebuilt" any day. "Fresh Rebuild" in a carburetor For Sale description is a big red flag for me, usually means they rebuilt it and it still didn't work............ :rolleyes:

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
One of the biggest problems is the same carb may need to be setup 10 different ways for 10 different cars. I have rebuilt over 100 carbs off all types and except for worn base plates that need to be reamed and have bushings installed, or cracked bodies (very rare) I have never had a need for any other part than the ones that come in a quality kit. The biggest issues I have had to deal with is when someone has already tried to rebuild or repair and there are check balls missing or the wrong gaskets installed. If you can read an instruction sheet and have a nice clean work area you can rebuild it.
Tear it apart, save all teh gaskets to match up with the new ones, soak all parts overnight, rinse it out with water, blow out all ports with compressed air, dry and re-assemble. A lot of the kits have multiple gaskets, be sure to match the new ones to the old ones or you will have issues.
Float settings are critical and this is usually what is done improperly. Read the directions until you understand the procedure completly.
When you purchase a parts store rebuild you never know what you will be getting. There are some quality carb rebuilder out there but they are not cheap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A new day........

Well TBucket...........I'm definately gonna give it a shot when I find a carb for this engine that's worth rebuilding. Getting the right kit for starter would help. Right now, putting on another carb, different numbers, but compatable with my engine. It's not shooting gas out the top, so that's a plus! The gentleman(read idiot)that had this truck before I did, did not know the meaning of the words "maintenance" among other things, so the carb that was on it was just totally gone.
I'll let you know when it fires up. Then I get to start on rewiring...........
Cross your fingers! :welcome:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Beast LIVES!!!!

Just thought I'd let y'all know, that the Suburban fired and ran yesterday. Running like a top! I appreciate all your input, and I'm sure that you will be hearing from me again. I'll keep you up to date, and start posting pics of the truck.
Have a wonderful holiday!
Now, on to the next part...........wiring!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.