Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a auto scanner from JC Whitney and it took like a half hour because the dang girl was trying to sell me on all this other stuff! I just want what I ordered please! Then when I think I am done she starts telling me about the (free) catalogs they want to (give) me for being such a wonderful customer. Yeah I made the mistake of taking them up on that offer one time and all the (free) magazines started charging my credit card without telling me. Also why does it cost $15 to ship a lil scanner that weighs a few oz.s? Plus it is going to take 7 to 10 business days to get here! I always tell myself after a order from JC. that I will never do that again, But I always do. Its like a Walmart relationship. :evil:
I feel better now. :rolleyes:

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Biggarmike said:
Don't complain about JCW, where else can you get a clown thumbing his nose hood ornament?
Yeh! and they still have those dingle balls to go around your back window....Lmao :D

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
poncho62 said:
Why not order online....that way, you don't have to listen to her.
I am to paranoid some computer nerd will steal my credit card info. :eek: I don't trust these dang computers! :evil: About JC Whitney I will say this, The same scanner was $144 at Advance. JC. sold it to me for $100 plus I get a free infrared thermometer. :D I guess thats why I keep going back. ;)

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
I am to paranoid some computer nerd will steal my credit card info.
Computer shopping is pretty safe anymore. Besides that, if someone wants your credit info they will get it. Your probably safer doing it online than going to your local store and having your card scanned. Everytime you do that at the store, how many people has been behind you when you punched in your PIN. While you were holding your card has anyone ever been behind you on the phone? Maybe a camera phone to snap a pic of your card?

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
people can listen in on phone signals. So long as you have a good anti-spy and virus filters (run a scan before buying) for the compy and the seller has a good reputation, I'd go for it.

Not a problem yet besides a micrometer somewhere between ebay and me. Paid $15 for it and it's lost in the mail system according to the P.O.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My dad used to trust them a lot. Hell, my mom still gets catalogs delivered to the house! What car is complete without a fuzzy pink decklid cover?!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used to look at the JC Whitney magazines when I had a 63 econoline, let's just say I found them to be a "universal fit" company, but that was years upon years ago. As for the online ordering, that's where I do most of my shopping, mainly due to time constrictions and ease of use. As long as they have encryption on their website (notice a locked padlock at the bottom right of the screen). Most websites use 128 bit encryption, which are damn near impossible to hack. A couple years ago I was part of a team that protected our AF base's network, it is pretty safe out there, just as long as you keep your system up to date on virus definitions and spyware/adware along with a descent firewall, not the automotive kind :)

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,917 Posts
The wife tells me that you'll see "https" in the address of secure sites. I guess the "s" is for "secure"?

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
61 Posts
Chances are it's not a place to buy stuff if it's https, that's mainly for things that you have to log into, like if you have webmail at work or a lot of gov sites are https. Some sites transfer you over https when you are on their ordering page.

Fast Eddy, an auto scanner hooks into your ALDL on your car/truck and looks at certain codes that have come up or haven't been cleared out, you can also see what output the sensors are giving the ECM. I bought one from O'Reillys for $199, insane. On top of that you have to update it from their site, the only way to do that is to buy another $99 cable that is completely seperate. Oh, well, I like it so I guess it's worth it. Plus it scans OBD1 and OBD2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts