Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Darn I Hate Swallowing My Pride!

Sorry I have to get this off my chest. I was at my friends house today, he lives in my neighborhood, hanging out with him and some good friends from high school. I was the last guy to show up so I parked behind everyone. One of my friends had to leave since I was blocking him in, I moved my car onto the grass next to the dad's truck, which is also parked in the grass. 15 minutes later we are all standing outside in the driveway about to all leave and this guys dad comes outside and starts yelling me.

"Mike, get your car the f* off my grass" My friends are looking at me with that don't do it look. I said "I put it there so matt could leave." "I don't care, you should have pulled out into the street" I said yea, whatever. He yelled "I don't park on your grass, so get in your car and move it the f off my lawn."

My friends are staring at me, they know I had something to say, I always have some line that if it doesn't start a fist fight it shuts up what every jerk off is running his mouth. And I had one, I wanted to tell him "if you're was going to act like and fing ***** I'll park my car in the middle of your front yard."

But no, for probably the first time, I kept my mouth shut, only because I didn't want him telling me I wasn't allowed at his house anymore. Freaking ****** bag. I should empty a few bottles of bleach on his precious lawn some night.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
This is very obviously a control thing. I thought about it from his side, and honestly I can't really see where he's coming from. He's obviously not that concerned about the grass, because he's parked on it. He just wants to have control. Its not a stretch to assume when you see one car parked on a lawn that another can go there, especially if you're only staying for a little while in the afternoon.

If he wanted your car off the lawn, there's no reason to come out spewing expletives for the whole neighborhood to hear. You're 18 and this guy is what, like 50? I only remember you saying one person was screaming a swearing about it, so riddle me this: who's more childish?:rolleyes:

You ever notice if you keep your car dirty like a pig pen, you start seeing the junk from your passengers in your car? Or if you swear a lot, your kids start picking up the words (bet his ignorant butt yells at his kids for it too:rolleyes: ). IF you go inside and see him eating food out of a bowl, are you not to assume that you, too, can use a bowl, or should you, out of respect for him and his precious property, shovel food into your mouth out of your damned hand like an Ethiopian, because you're not sure if its ok to follow the example?

I can see why he might be perturbed by somebody parking on his lawn. Honest mistake. Especially considering the fact that you're friends with his son, all that really needs to be said is "mike, park your car in the street. I don't want you parking on my lawn."

Some people are dead set on making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

K

·
Registered
66 Posts
Parking

Well....I guess you could just wait a few years until you have your own kids and lawn. Then you can yell at your kids friends when they do the same. Hey chuck it up to experience but if you want revenge....Kill him with kindness. Catch him on a good day and tell him how sorry you are. Chances are that he will feel bad about how he reacted. You don't have to like him...Just respect him on his property.

·
Heart Breaker and Life Taker
174 Posts
Whats wrong with asking like a human being? All that had to be done was this:

"Him- Mike,can you park your car on the street,?
You-Ok,no problem."

End of problem. There was no need for what he did.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's called respecting other peoples property.

Real simple, if someone walked up and sat on the hood of your car you'd probably get excited and go off on them. They probably should have known better. But, lets say they saw you sit on it before. Does that make it OK? Bet I know what your answer would be....

Maybe my perspective is skewed 'cause I'm an "old man" :D

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
Maybe a change to the title of this thread would be more convincing to people of your respect for others.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
COMING FROM THE MIDDLE aged fart arena, i bet mike is close to being like family at this guys house. the old man sounded like he was treating him like one of his kids.

it tickles me to listen to you young cats talk child/parent psychology and not have any kids of your own. trust me, when you have kids,(unless your the dregs of society) you'll have a huge change in attitude.

and that brings me to this, Mike, i wish you'd consider a small change in the subject line of this thread. some might find it offensive. and for what? no reason really. we just do.;)

too late. someone already dissed you. not your day huh?

always try imagining being in the other persons place.

perception is reality.
if he perceived you to be disrespectful, then to him, you were.
just like you perceived him to be a jerk, so to you, he was.

can you dig?

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Black Sheep said:
It's called respecting other peoples property.

Real simple, if someone walked up and sat on the hood of your car you'd probably get excited and go off on them. They probably should have known better. But, lets say they saw you sit on it before. Does that make it OK? Bet I know what your answer would be....

Maybe my perspective is skewed 'cause I'm an "old man" :D
Well the guy's car was already on the lawn. SO you're saying:

If you're already sitting on the hood of your average car, and some guy who you already know sits down next to you on it you can yell "YOU IDIOT GET THE F OFF MY HOOD, GOOD GOD I DON'T SIT ON YOURS!!!!" And you're unwilling to admit that that statement is just a little bit childish.

I don't care what people say about parent child psychology. If you swear in front of your kids and then get mad at them for swearing, you're an idiot.

K

·
il enforcer
75 Posts
killerformula said:
Well the guy's car was already on the lawn. SO you're saying:

If you're already sitting on the hood of your average car, and some guy who you already know sits down next to you on it you can yell "
K
It is not his lawn. It makes no difference if the home owner does it.

I would never park on someone elses lawn. Walk the extra 30 feet and park on the bloody road.

I have sat on the hood of the wifes Caddy. I paid for it. Why would that make it ok for someone else to sit on it?

·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
66Caprice said:
More input from the old fart arena - saying 'yeah whatever' was probably something that he intepreted as being disrespectful. When my kids (oldest is 20, 16 and 12) say that to me, I go nuts!
It was meant to be taken that way because it started with him yelling "Mike, get your car the f* off my grass" in hostile tone. The guy is a jerk, other neighbors have had problems with him before for other reasons.

If he wasn't going to show me respect, he wasn't getting any in return.

Sorry about the G.D. guys, I'm not used to being around people to find it offensive.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
A long time ago, when I was 16, I owned a Honda 750 motorcycle. My best friend at the time had a 650 Yamaha, and we rode together all of the time.

Well, to make a long story short, my buddy and I were over at a guy's house that happened to work for my father at the time. He was a big biker guy, and he had a bad attitude (I can't even remember why we were there, I think maybe to check out a Harley he owned).

Well, I had ridden my bike down to the store to pick up something to drink, and Jon, my friend was hanging out over at Kevin's house (the biker guy). Anyway, evidently Jon had spun his tires in the guy's yard. (I didn't know it at the time). When I returned to his house, he started ripping me about his yard, when I didn't even know what had happened. He cussed and screamed at me, and was very, very rude, and belittled me in front of my friends.

I never forgot the incident, and anytime anyone mentioned the guy's name, I thought about it.

That was 21 years ago.

Guess what?

I ran into him in a store in my hometown just two weeks ago.

He didn't look so tough to me anymore, as I out-sized him by a good margin.

He was still a bum, and he asked me what I did for a living. I showed him my shop accross the street. I said goodbye and left. Betcha he remembered yelling at me all of those years ago.

The guy yelled at me when I was a kid because it made him feel tough and important. He had an inferiority complex, but I didn't really know what that was when I was 16 years old

Whenever somebody does that too kids or little children, it damages them (particularly the little ones).

Just shrug it off, and don't sweat it. Even though you should not have parked in that guy's grass, he was wrong to swear at you like that.

Learn from it, and remember how it made you feel, so some day down the road, you remember that ALL human beings deserve respectful treatment despite their age. How we act and talk
should always reflect that.

20 years from now, when you are an old fart, and the neighbor kid does something stupid, maybe you'll remember that and take a different approach to it, like mentioned in other posts.

"How Sweet It Is!"

·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
crazy larry said:
COMING FROM THE MIDDLE aged fart arena, i bet mike is close to being like family at this guys house.

and that brings me to this, Mike, i wish you'd consider a small change in the subject line of this thread. some might find it offensive. and for what? no reason really. we just do.;)

perception is reality.
if he perceived you to be disrespectful, then to him, you were.
just like you perceived him to be a jerk, so to you, he was.

can you dig?
I dig larry.

Actually I'm not close to family, and I have probably been there 5 times in the last year. Me and the other guys usually stay in the garage and out of the house because of the parents.

To be honest one of us usually ends up parking in the grass for hours because of space, and he has walked out and been friendly and never complained so I didn't think me being there 15 minutes would be a problem. Some said park in the street, who wants to block a whole lane in the street to park? No body.

Do some of you guys really think he is approach was justified?

Nice post NAIRB.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
What the guy did to you was wrong. You shouldn't have parked in his grass either, but.........

Two Wongs don't make a White.

:mwink: :mwink: :mwink:

If it bothers you, tell the guy that you apologize for parking on his grass.

I bet you that he apologizes for yelling at you.

If he doesn't, you were the bigger man anyway.

·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, next time I see him I'll apologize for parking in his grass, but if I get a disrespectful toned response like "yea well just make sure you don't let it happen again" I'll verbally hang him.

can you tell I'm irish?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
don't drop down to a neanderthal level man. there's enough of that in the world already.

don't get pissed when people mistake kindness for weakness.
just know in the back of your mind, that all you gotta do is break that neck. kindness kicks meanness anytime.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
I have a feeling there is more history to this than just this exchange. Who parks on someone elses lawn anyway? You didn't show him any common courtesy so I guess he didn't give you any either.

Man, I just has this sudden feeling of deja vu, did you?:p

I have a little story for ya, close your ears.:mwink:

Friend of mine worked at a bingo hall, I drove over while he was at work to get the plans for the night (We were going bar hopping :) ). I parked the car out front and ran in, I was there maybe 10 minutes.

When I came out there was a wheelchair van waiting to drop off, the lady inside was cursing out the window at me because I was in the middle of the wheelchair access ramp. When I say cursing I don't do it any justice, sailors would have been offended. I was embarassed enough but felt I didn't need the berating. I sucked it up and drove away.

Years later I meet this woman, she's running for city councilor...if it wasn't for the ventilator strapped to the back of her wheelchair she would die. I didn't make the connection until I met her personally and immediately had to talk to her, I wanted a face to face with this "woman" who had ripped a strip off my back many years ago.

I reached out and shook her hand, she still looked the same. I mentioned to her that I was the guy she cursed up a blue streak in front of the Nairn Street bingo hall. She looked me up and down and said sorry. She explained that her ventilator machine was running low on battery power and she had to plug in within 10 minutes of being unhooked from the wheelchair van. Valuable time during her night out pounding dabbers trying to win the lotto.

I was instantly humbled by the incredible lack of understanding on my part, boy did I feel like an idiot. We talked and she gave me her brochures for the candidacy and I left instantly humbled by this woman who obviously was grabbing life by the balls and doing the best she could with the hand God dealt her.

Perhaps this guys lawn is his one great accomplishment, and there you were parking in the middle of it, maybe even dripping a little oil...pure death to grass. You did the right thing to keep your trap shut, I was sure glad I didn't start up with her on that day.

You did the right thing, life has many possibilities.;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.