Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't yell at me. I have really tried to do my homework on this one but I am just at a sticking point. I have used all the pictures etc. that I could find from the board, knowledge base etc but I just cant find my answer.

I have a 700r4 that I am trying to ID. The number on the pass side of the tranny is TKZ530732. There is not a number identifying the year prior to the TKZ. It has not been ground off. The stamping looks original.

There was, what I will call, a GM bar-coded sticker on the top of the bell housing with large font letters at the top of the sticker, a smaller group of letters and numbers below that and then a bar code. The number, to the best of what I can see is 619mzmy0298024.

On the passengers side there is also the casting mark, and per the Crosley website, that is shaped like a rainbow and flows through the upper cooling line fitting. On the bell housing on the pass side is an MD8 and there is a pressure tap up and behind the servo, roughly where the TV cable connects.

On the drivers side is the 4 pin connector and the pan is square with 16 bolts.

The input shaft is 27 spline and the output shaft is 30 spline.

I sure hope you can help me ID this. I am not sure if it will be a big deal as I go to rebuild this, but it is just driving me crazy.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Administrator
9,805 Posts
lets verify a few things first.

you say 27 spline input. Are you counting the larger 'fixed' splined shaft or the smaller one that rotates?

A rainbow casting 'line' at the cooler line fittins indicates a mid 1987 or later unit.

Are you looking at the number on the edge of the case near the pan rail on the passenger side? GM stamped numbers on the side at this location for many years , for a few years they also stamped numbers on top of the pan rail in the same area.

I have seen later trannys with early parts inside them , I have never seen a late tranny where the 27 spline input shaft was installed. Most builders go away from the 27 spline input shaft

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crosley,
I went out and recounted. Both the fixed spline and the rotating spline at the front of the tranny are 27 spline

The TKZ530732 number is located all the way at the back of the passenger side on a flat area. You can see the area in the pic all the way to the left side on top of the rail. There are pan bolt holes on either side.

I think this is a rebuilt tranny. Could someone have used "older" parts to rebuild it?

Attached is a pic of the tranny.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,805 Posts
Early internal parts can be used in a later 700 if the person doing the work knows what needs to be done so there is no parts mis-match.

The flat area you speak of in the photo... so I understand you,

Is it the flat area right next to the pan & gasket? Not the flat spot on top of the pan rail area?

Where the steel pan has the small tab pointing down.... GM stamped numbers on the edge and on top of the pan rail flat area. Clean both areas well to look for numbers.

On factory reman trannys they often ground the area smooth and affixed a tag with new numbers on the bell housing. the tag stated the tranny was a reman unit

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I took your advice and got the degreaser and a brush after the tranny.

I found the stamp on the passengers side at the rear of the pan. There were two stamps. One was on the horizontal surface and the other one was on the vertical pan rail. The pan rail number is 9mzm052b. The horizontal number that is right about this is TKZ530732. Would this be the car's serial number?

So I would assume since this does not have the three pressure taps on the passengerside it is a late 1989 model.

Now all that being said, why in the heck does it have a 27 spline input shaft. Both the shaft that rotates and the shaft that stays stationary are 27 spline.

Again, there was a tag at the top of the bellhousing that looked like a OEM type tag. It was about 1x2.5" and just had numbers. It did not say that it was a rebuild, but to the best of my knowledge I think this has been rebuilt.

I am putting this behind a mild 350 that might be rebuilt, someday, to 350 hp. Right now if it is at 200 I would be surprised. So is the 27 spline worth rebuilding or would it be best to get another tranny to start with?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
dsmith1279 said:
The pan rail number is 9mzm052b. The horizontal number that is right about this is TKZ530732. Would this be the car's serial number?

So I would assume since this does not have the three pressure taps on the passengerside it is a late 1989 model.
9mzm052b
The "9" can mean EITHER 1982 OR 1989
The "mzm" is the vehicle application code, the 1982 would have had a two digit application code here, so it IS a 1989 model.
The "052" should be the "julian date" or the 52nd day of the year, or February 21st, for manufacture date or assembly date.
The "b" should be the manufacturers plant code, where it was assembled.

It could have been rebuilt by a smaller shop sometime in the past, and they might not worry about indicating their work on the stuff they put out.
Like Crosley said, the internals can fit if the rebuilder know what he is doing, and this just might be the case with the transmission you have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks for all your help. I had utilized all the references you all mentioned here in this thread prior to issuing the plea for help. Now I guess this just goes to show that with all this great information you still have to be a Non-moron to make use of it.

That is where I come in. I am officially a Moron. The thing that continued to puzzle me was the 27 spline rotating input shaft. Why would anyone have changed it out. I just couldn't figure it out. :confused:

So, this afternoon I put the tranny up on an extra engine stand and cleaned it off really well. Thus finding the correct manufacturing code. Putting it up on the stand also got the trann off the floor of my shop and got it to where I could easily see the input splines. So there I am, scratching my head and I thought this can't be a 27 spline. It just doesn't make sense. So I got a grease pencil and began marking the splines counting them off.

I guess I could try to blame bad light or being a product of the Oklahoma Public School Education system, but I do indeed have a 30 spline input shaft. For the love of Pete will someone please put me out of my misery? :embarrass

I debated even coming on to tell you all since I feel like such a bonehead, but I felt that you all deserved an update.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ugh.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
dsmith1279 said:
So there I am, scratching my head and I thought this can't be a 27 spline. It just doesn't make sense. So I got a grease pencil and began marking the splines counting them off.

I guess I could try to blame bad light or being a product of the Oklahoma Public School Education system, but I do indeed have a 30 spline input shaft. For the love of Pete will someone please put me out of my misery? :embarrass

I debated even coming on to tell you all since I feel like such a bonehead, but I felt that you all deserved an update.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ugh.
You are definitely NOT the only one who has done this and definitely will not be the last.

·
Administrator
9,805 Posts
well, we have an answer now.

that is why I was yappin about GM stamping numbers in both spots during some years at the pan rail area...

the web site posted by angliabob shows the information I have given folks for years. :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts