Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 mustang with a V-6. I am putting a 302 in it. the flywheel from the V-6 does not line up on the 302 so my husband took it to a machine shop to have holes drilled in it so it will line up. I do know that the balance is right according to the 302. Is this going to cause problems and if so, what are they. Won't the balance be different by have it drilled to line up? Oh my!!! I hope my husband is right but I do need a second oppinion.
:confused:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
flywheel

To my knowledge the 3.8 flywheel wont balance with a 302. Better off to get the proper flywheel for your 302.
What year is the 302? 302's have two different weights of off balance on the flywheels. Ones made later than, 82, have a 50 oz off weight where the earlier ones had a 28 oz off weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was mistaken on what my husband was doing - The flywheel does line up but the bolt holes are too small - he is having those drilled larger. As for the engine - It was a trade-in @ Dallas City Motors and all they could tell me is that it is an 82-86. I did get the correct flywheel for the engine to begin with and then the correct starter but with those two, the bell housing from the old engine would not fit - cannot find a bell housing for the 302 anywhere - I even checked on line. The closest I found was for a Ford F150 and they wanted waaaay too much for it. That is why he wants to go with the old flywheel and starter and have the holes drilled. I do beleive it is a 28 oz. We had to get a new harmonic balancer also and that has something to do with the weight also. I could be wrong about the 28 oz. though.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
While I am not a Ford man. I would highly suggest you either get the proper flywheel or have that one balanced. Running the engine with the improper balance will cause problems (excessive vibration, bearing wear, shorten the engines life). It might be possible to have the machine shop balance the V6 flywheel to match the 302 flywheel. I think that would be the best of both worlds you will still be in balance and be able to keep your starter and bell housing.

Royce

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
balancing act

I do concur with Camaroman. I would have the rotating assembly balanced if you are set on running the 3.8 flywheel, I am assuming it will align with your starter etc. I dont know what it costs around your area, but a to have the internals balanced in these parts will run you about $150. Not bad for good insurance on your engines life.

82 and later 302's/ 5.0's use the 50 oz off balance flywheel, and harmonic balancer.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
A possible solution, although I don't recall what tranny you are running, the MII flywheels and bellhousings were smaller to fit the MII Pinto based confines. I have a bellhousing and flywheel off one ,just in case. If it's an automatic, I would try Fox body V8 applications. I'm pretty sure the 3.8 and 302 use the same AOD case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.