Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kind of had a bad night. It started out good. I took the Caprice out and picked up four of my friends at about 10. We planned on staying out all night. We were doing stupid stuff, then we went and got something to eat. Then back to doing stupid stuff. I pulled into a development and drove past a house that tons of junk piled up at by the street for trash pick up. We parked my car in another development and went to the house with the junk, to see if we could find anything good to put in a friend of our's front yard.

One of us found a lid, the kind that goes on a 5 gallon paint bucket. My friend threw it like a frisbee. Now, it's got a pretty sharp edge going around it. Another guy went and got it and chucked it back at a friend of mine. I'm not paying attention to what they are doing and the lid nailed me in the face, from an angle. It hit me an inch below my right eye, and into my nose.

I'm not the kind of guy who panics or freaks out when he gets hurt so I said calmly "you broke my nose." I was holding my hand over where it was hurting. Blood was running down my face, into my mouth, and dripping off my chin. We're standing in the middle of this development, there barely any moon light, one of my friends flicked his lighter on so we could get an idea how bad I'm hurt. All I get is "holy *, Mike your bleeding alot."

We start walking back to the car, one of my friends ran ahead of us and grabbed an hand full of napkins out of my glove box for me. We get in the car and looking in the mirror with the dome light on, it was not a pretty site. The whole right side of my face, from the eye down, had blood on it, my hand had blood all over it. And the blood was still coming. My friends weren't helping, two guys were telling me it was really bad, I need to go to the hospital. The other two were trying to play it down, telling me it's fine, lets just go to your house.

So I drove everyone to my house, holding the pack of napkins on my face. My car looks like evidence from a crime scene with the blood I got on the steering wheel. Anyway I got home in ten minutes, went inside and went into the bathroom to look in the mirror and clean up. I definitely had to go get some stitches. I had a nasty deep gash in my face. I woke my parents up, my mom got dressed. We left, and dropped all my friends off at one guys house so she could get me to the hospital quicker. By now it's about 12:30. There was some people in need of serious attention at the hospital, so I had to wait about an hour and a half before I was taken care of.

The doctor looked at me and said, you need stitches. I said how many? He said about 8. My mom says, we were hoping you could glue it. The doc said well, we can do that, but he'll have to be really careful with it if he wants to minimize the scar as much as possible. So some how they closed the slice up and put this purple glue over it. The glue burned like hell, but it beats stitches.

I would like to go to sleep but I'm still wide awake from all the "excitement." It could have been alot worse, if that lid hit me in the eye I would no doubt be blind in that eye now.

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
Wow.. that was a close one. Gheezzz It reminds me of when I went through the rear windshield of a 280ZX at about 25mph on my mountain bike. Broke my collar bone and cut my neck open. It took 88 stitches and alot of pain numbing morphine. You were very lucky you didn't lose an eye.

·
Registered
154 Posts
One of us found a lid, the kind that goes on a 5 gallon paint bucket. My friend threw it like a frisbee. Now, it's got a pretty sharp edge going around it. Another guy went and got it and chucked it back at a friend of mine. I'm not paying attention to what they are doing and the lid nailed me in the face, from an angle. It hit me an inch below my right eye, and into my nose.
Don't you love the "Seemed like a good idea at the time" moments friends seem to have.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
A quote from a famous American comes to mind:

"Stupid is as stupid does."

That may sound like I'm picking on you but in a few years you'll look back at that episode and think to yourself, man was that a stupid thing to do. This is age and experience talking.

Centerline

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I think its probably less stupid and just a bunch of young guys being a bunch of young guys. There are much worse things they could be doing at 12am. Mistakes happen when you're messing around. And messing around happens when you're young. I don't think it means anybody is "stupid."

K

·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was giving you guys my after the fact knowledge. I thought that lid was gone after the first throw. I didn't know that someone went an found it and threw it back or I would have moved about 30 feet away.

It was stupid for the guy to throw it in the direction of four people but I was just an innocent bystander.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Mike, don't feel too bad, we all have done stupid things and all will continue to until the day we die. Well....everyone except Centerline probably..just kidding.
Hope everything heals well.
Be careful with it, if you think the glue stung when they put it on, try ripping it open...stings even worse.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
It was stupid for the guy to throw it in the direction of four people........
That would be the "stupid" part all right. Didn't mean that you were stupid, but for an accident like that to happen somebody certainly was. Been there, done that..... that's why I said it was age and experience talking.

Centerline

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It seems like all too often the one who gets hurt isn't the one being silly. I,m Glad it wasn't too serious. Those face wounds bleed bad and always freak people out
When I was your age I hit a firend in the eye with a bottle rocket and I was the only one who wasn't being stupid. Everyone else was lighting them in their hands and just throwing them. I set one in a beer can on the hood of my car and lit it. As soon as I lit the fuse it fell over in the slot. And the same time a friend stepped near. I yelled look out and he turned around just in time to take it in the eye. Then on the 40 mile trip to the E ward I threw the cap off one of my cheater slicks and had to change that in the dark. He never lost his eye but did have to learn how to shoot with his left eye because he could never sight a gun with it.
I've heard it said God takes care of kids and drunks. I know he does for kids or none of us would make it past those years.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think it was very intelligent of your Mom to inquire about gluing as opposed to stitches. Much less scarring and easier to keep clean. I was an innocent bystander that got whacked in the eye with a baseball once. Some chick whipped the ball, in my direction, realized what she had done then yelled "heads up!". Dumb thing to do, should have said duck, at least then my face wouldn't have been in line with the ball.

Take Care.

Chickie.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Man that sux.Soon it will heal right up and you can start picking your boggers...j/k. Take care of it,good thing it did not break,they get kinda crooked then. I have a crooked bridge and I can not recall breaking it,but then I used to hide alot of injuries from my folks.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
GJ-
I'm willing to bet this won't be your "last" time you need to be superglued back together ! :D

Now its time for a new nickname

Slasher?

Gluebie Jet ?

Humpty Dumpty ? (Modern medicine WAS better than all the kings horses and all the kings men...)
:eek:

Heal fast dude!!!

AWWW DUUDDDE!! I can see it now !! One of those funnel collars around your head so you can pick your nose......

The image was too great not to share!!!!

Sorry, my bad, but I'm still rolling !

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
dayum. I was afraid you'd wrecked the white caprice already. I'm glad your alright. next time you might not be so lucky. remember, it's all fun and games till someone gets an eye poked out. or pregnant.:spank: or someone gets an eye poked out getting pregnant.:confused:

i like that dermabond. I got some on a kids lips by mistake once (not!). :evil:

·
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
4 Jaw Chick said:
I think it was very intelligent of your Mom to inquire about gluing as opposed to stitches. Much less scarring and easier to keep clean. I was an innocent bystander that got whacked in the eye with a baseball once. Some chick whipped the ball, in my direction, realized what she had done then yelled "heads up!". Dumb thing to do, should have said duck, at least then my face wouldn't have been in line with the ball.

Take Care.

Chickie.

My mom knows her way around a hospital, she worked in the one I went to for ten years. She started out working in out patient registration and worked up to Director of Purchasing by the time she quit because she was pregnant with me.

I have another good one for you guys. I was 13 swimming in a friends pool, we were taking turns forcing this fiberglass boogie board under the water and then standing on it. My friend Tim was standing on it and he fell back. He said "look out" I didn't hear what he said so I turned around just as the board flew out of the water. It hit me in the mouth. Broke off my two front teeth. My dentist was on vacation and his back up guy was at a wedding. It was 11 at night before my dentists back up saw me. That night was hell.

Beenaway2long said:
GJ-
I'm willing to bet this won't be your "last" time you need to be superglued back together ! :D

Now its time for a new nickname

Slasher?

Gluebie Jet ?

Humpty Dumpty ? (Modern medicine WAS better than all the kings horses and all the kings men...)
:eek:

Heal fast dude!!!

AWWW DUUDDDE!! I can see it now !! One of those funnel collars around your head so you can pick your nose......

The image was too great not to share!!!!

Sorry, my bad, but I'm still rolling !
Slasher sounds good, but just call me Lucky. You're probably right, it won't be the last time I need glued back together. Hopefully the next time I end up in the E.R. glue will be all I need.

fourbyfourblazer said:
Wow.. that was a close one. Gheezzz It reminds me of when I went through the rear windshield of a 280ZX at about 25mph on my mountain bike. Broke my collar bone and cut my neck open. It took 88 stitches and alot of pain numbing morphine. You were very lucky you didn't lose an eye.

Man, thats a nasty scar. How old were you when that happend?

crazy larry said:
or someone gets an eye poked out getting pregnant.:confused:
eyetificial insemination?

haha

spinn said:
to ghetto, and his speedy recovery! everybody tip your glass!

sorry to hear about it. accidents happen. you handled it well. sounds like you took it like a man.
Thanks spinn.

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:

Man, thats a nasty scar. How old were you when that happend?
hmm.. lets see.. i'm 36 and I was around 25 at the time when it happened. I spent the night in the tramua center. I was awake the whole time pumped up with morphine and the doctor had his hand inside my neck exploring my neck for cut bood vessels, torn muscle. He said if I had cut my neck a couple inches in another direction I would have cut my main artery and that I would have been dead. The reason I had the accident was because I wasn't paying attention had paid the price. I also lost muscle in my neck and upper back, but I made a full recovery.

how about a picture of your war wound? :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.