Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listen to this, my uncle has had this 1923 Model T for about 20 years now sitting behind his house. He's waited for his son to grow up so they could do it as a father-son project. During this time he built a 1932 Truck and working on a 1940 Ford truck with a 392 HEMI, his daily driver is a 49 Chevy truck with a Pontiac V8. He absolutely loves rodding and beside me the only one in my family who does. Now turns out that my cousin (his son James) has no interest whatsoever in doing the project. So my uncle waited for his daughter to grow up. She's my age and knows nothing about cars, but to his relieve wants to learn about them. So get this, my uncle calls up my dad and asks him "is it ok if your son and my daughter help me build this 23 t-bucket. I wanna build it in 3 months and drive it to back to the 50's in Minnesota". But here's the problem, he wants me to work on it everyday till 10 pm. I have lot of school-homwork, guitar lessons, I have a job, church youth-groups and some other activities. This really comes in my way. My parents are still thinking about it, either way I'm happy that he asked me. I might do it but there's a big chance I wont, then we'll probably build it in the summer.

Mike

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Tell him straight out what your hours are to work on it.You do it,not your parents.Talk to them first and inform them(Parents)that you want to tell him after they ok it.Surely he knows you have other things to do.It is a good opportunity,but do not let that burn you out.There are easily flared tempers when tired and working late.especially when you may have other things such as church,homework lessons to do.He may be testing the waters to see if you are willing to compromise to finish this project.It certainly will not hurt to try it.Good luck Mike.-Ron-

·
Administrator
18,432 Posts
Sounds to me he is looking for free help, which is OK if you are going to learn. But it also has to be partially on your terms, time wise etc. You can't be expected to make all the sacrifices.

Maybe, the ownership to the "T" would make it more worthwhile.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Working on anything until 10PM every night will affect every aspect of your life in a negative way, your grades and wellbeing most importantly. Your uncle should be smart enough to realize that.

Unless my name would end up on the title when he dies I would tell him to blow me. You're not his slave, I know he's your uncle but be careful, alot of people are out to get something for nothing. His goals and expectations of you are unrealistic, if he wasn't smart enough to start building this T Bucket at an earlier time in hopes of making to the Back To 50's show that is his problem.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He really doesnt want free help, he knows how much I wanna learn and he thinks this is a great opportunity. The whole point of this build is to make it simple and fast while learning along the way.
He told me the T would be his, but I'd get to drive it around sometimes.
He's a great guy, his intentions are good.
I havnet said yes or no but by the looks of it it might be nnnyeesno......we'll see.

Mike

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Nightfire said:
he wants me to work on it everyday till 10 pm.
Tell him to change that to just Fridays and Saturdays and it will be cool. You don't can't possibly have enough room in your schedule for that everyday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I feel your pain. lol. I have school, a week job,and a weekend job. I always have a lot of homework and I have to stay after school often. I usually work untill 8 at night then I go home and work on school stuff. When I'm done with everything else I go out to the yard with a flashlight and a toolbox and work on my 62 impala untill I cant stay up anymore. Usually around 12 to 2. While keeping a 3.42 gpa. Not too much fun.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
I go out to the yard with a flashlight and a toolbox and work on my 62 impala untill I cant stay up anymore. Usually around 12 to 2 in the mourning. While keeping a 3.42 gpa. Not too much fun.
Do it while your young because in a few years you'll look back and woder how you ever done it at all. LOL!! Don't let the grades slide and if you have a job doing freebie work for someone else does not put money in th epocket. Nightfire...If you want to learn that is fine but put priorities first.

Kevin

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I drink a lot of coffee (I know its not healthy). I'm also smart, I think my IQ is something around 117, so school is fairly easy. I made something really cool last night, even though it wasnt for a car. I made a small glasspack muffler for a 4-wheeler. It sounded really great. It was a little too loud so I welded up some more baffles to quiet it down some. Now all my friends want one.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL, no, I didnt tell him anything yet. I'll call him up and work something out. There's no way I can work everyday till 10 right after school. I still gotta keep up my marks in school.
I'll call him and see if we can reach a common ground.
I dont think it'll be too ridiculous to finish it in 2-3 Months since he has ALL the parts. He's been collecting them for 15+ years.
He has a nice 327 SBC for it.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated.

Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds to me like more of a chore than something fun with the schedule he has in mind. These types of projects are supposed to be fun. AND, if you guys are rushing to meet a deadline, what happens if you or your cousin can't put in the time required to help him finish in time. I agree with what Ghetto Jet said, he should have started earlier if he wanted to go to a particular show. That being said, it's a wonderful learning opportunity and if you can swing the time on the weekends between shifts at work, Go for it!! It's not everyday you get to help build and drive a car like that!

Chickie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts