Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hope you can help. I've got a 383 small block with 9.5 to 1 cr with cast Scat crank and rods. I wanted to do a single turbo set up to run about 8-10 lbs. of boost. What size turbo do you recommend and were can i get the exhaust manifolds. I did some research with Banks and they only offer a twin turbo set-up and its like $6,000. I am willing to custom make manifolds if i have to. Is it possible to keeo the whole price of the set-up I want between 1000-1500 bucks, i am willing to buy a used turbo and rebuild it if it makes it easier money wise on myself. I am looking forward to see what every one has to say. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

·
Registered
14 Posts
i know i know another turbo question

I know Turbonetics has a 60mm turbo on a T4 flange that's good to 600hp. If that'll get your rocks off. For a street engine you may want to make sure it has an A/R of .81 or so. This way it won't lag very much and spool up very well (say 2700 rpm or so). I know those turbo's go for about $750ish and that's the non ball bearing version. I hear these do well up to 14-16psi, after that you really need a BB, ball bearing, version.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just a quick note 9.5 compression is really pushing it for a turbo, even if you had aluminum heads and forged pistons. You may be able to get away with it if you want to run race gas or alcohol/water injection.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
xxllmm4 said:
Just a quick note 9.5 compression is really pushing it for a turbo, even if you had aluminum heads and forged pistons. You may be able to get away with it if you want to run race gas or alcohol/water injection.
On pump gas, you're limited to 8 psi with a c.r. of 8.0:1. The guys who run more boost are doing it with ignition retard and water injection, but generally speaking it's "8 for 8". At 9.5:1, you can only run 4 lbs of boost on pump gas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
8.1 would be good i have seen im not sure if itll work on small block chevys but u can flip the exhaust manifolds around and run a twin turbo set up u can cut off the flange and install a eclipse 16g turbos 90-98 i believe stock manifolds all will flow good for turbos no need for equal length unless u like to spend alot of time fabbing to get a couple more pounds of boost. 16g turbos are about the best around and can support up to 400hp each there also water oil cooled so there more reliable than some oil only type turbochargers u can run 4 psi each by running two bosh blow off valves or whatever u choose money wise and a dual snorkel air cleaner and weld it together this will help has turbo plenums ive seen for v-8's are much to small u need mass for low end or youll starve it running a intercooler wont be really nessacary unless u run a larger amount of boost past 10 psi but if u want them bad enough u can run ecplise side mount intercoolers for each turbo or even any number of intercoolers that are side mount if ur lucky and wanna spend extra bucks and can find a set callaway had a vette in the early 90's using twin top mount intercoolers if u have a cowl hood it would be perfect but i would expect a 1000 just for the set if u can even find them single mount or water to air are gonna be pricey. btw twin turbo running smaller will give u less lag better for lower rpm and i believe will make ur car more stable because a t-72 is a huge turbo and depending upon compresser wheel size u can actually not spool up until 3500rpm and with a stroker id assume u redline at 6500 so twin 16g turbos are ur best bet. if ur smart u may be able to do a complete set up within 1500 the turbos can be bought all over bosh style blow offs can be bought at auto parts store and intercoolers also at junk yards piping can be rubber since ur under 8 pounds after that hubs at metal piping u may also want to get a proper cam for ur set up to utilize its full potenial and a carb the dual snorkel should be welded lid to cleaner to prevent any air leaks(loss of boost) and just get a air cleaner base gasket itll work perfectly. (btw i was into import drags in high school hense my knowledge of junkyard turbo set ups

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok guys thanks again for all the replies. since we are all in aggreance that 9.5 to 1 is too high and i would have to run low boost with pump gas, how about this, let me know if this sounds plausable. Since my car is a street car, driven every day could i run maybe 1-2 pounds of boost and high octain will i be ok, and then come race time bump it to 8 lbs and out some racing fuel with it, would that work and be ok, thanks again.

ryan

·
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw
682 Posts
IF you have a timing retard control I would run 6psi if you have an intercooler or 3-4 psi without it. When you put in the race gas be sure to use the highest you can (probaly higher then 104) and up it to 12psi.

·
Banned
204 Posts
Why would you ask such an important question here.....It just makes no sense. There are lengthy equations that can come up with the proper turbo to use, but it takes into account many, many different variables. You are doing yourself a dis-favor by asking anyone on this forum what the correct turbo is that you should be running, with the information of it's a 383 with 9.5:1 CR. Where is the other 10-15 pieces of needed data anyone would need to know in order to be able to make such a statement.
You obviously do not know much about turbochargers, so do yourself a favor and purchase anyone of several good, and up to date books on the subject. Ignorance is no excuses now days, there is just to much available information to not inform yourself. Installing a turbocharger is a very extensive and costly undertaking, you will be money ahead and much better informed if your first step is a good book on the subject.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yknot,
Thanks for the reply on ignorant questions. I agree that i dont know much about turbo's but dont you think thats why i am on here. I dont think that anyone one here appreciates you saying that i am doing myself a "disfavor" by asking for their opinion and thoughts on what I can and should do to build a turbo engine. I do need to purchase a book or turbo's and I am currently in the process of finding a reputable book. But I feel that you can get much more knowledge and information out of people that have actually done a turbo, not book knowledge that put together a turbo motor in a perfect world. Again I enjoy getting information from people that have done it and not have it work perfectly the first time, isn't that where learning comes from. And if you know what the other variable are please let me know and I will be glad to post them for everyone to be able to help me out even further. But then again i just might be to ignorant to know what to reply. Thanks again everyone for all the help you have provided, i enjoy this site and all the information i can get from it and from the real life experience everyone as. Thanks again for the "disfavor" yeah right..... :thumbup:

ryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.