Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle. (WrenchTurner)
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I am mocking up a big block in my '77 Corvette. I need the head's accessory bracket holes for mounting and testing during this mock up process.

The final engine isn't even assembled, so I need a junk solution.

Honestly, if anyone has a junk BBC head, and a band saw, all I really need are the ends of a BBC head. At least two mounting holes each. Just cut the ends off a single head and ship them to me. I'll pay for parts, labor, and shipping. :D

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,403 Posts
Your local engine rebuilder may be able to rent you one cheap... by leaving a deposit...

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your local engine rebuilder may be able to rent you one cheap... by leaving a deposit...

I did check. We have one local machine shop, and they're always dicks anyway, but he basically told me no way. They're very set in their ways. Junk goes on a junk pile, plain and simple, until the junk man picks it up and pays them for it. No ifs ands or buts. LOL

·
More for Less Racer
19,970 Posts
I did check. We have one local machine shop, and they're always dicks anyway, but he basically told me no way. They're very set in their ways. Junk goes on a junk pile, plain and simple, until the junk man picks it up and pays them for it. No ifs ands or buts. LOL
So hit up the junk man or local scrap metals yard.

Either will like be happy to sell you a scrap BBC head for 10 bucks if they have one around....since it'll beat the 2 or 3 cents a lb scrap iron is going for, the head in just iron price would be lucky to get them $1.50.

Sounds like your local shop is a real piece of work though, he missed a chance to sell you a junk head for $20 and make more than the junk man is likely going to pay him for a week size pile. He's an Idiot.

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So hit up the junk man or local scrap metals yard.

Either will like be happy to sell you a scrap BBC head for 10 bucks if they have one around....since it'll beat the 2 or 3 cents a lb scrap iron is going for, the head in just iron price would be lucky to get them $1.50.

Sounds like your local shop is a real piece of work though, he missed a chance to sell you a junk head for $20 and make more than the junk man is likely going to pay him for a week size pile. He's an Idiot.

Yeah I was thinking of a way to find out who their junk man is, and we have a metal recycling center but it's not public. I don't have a contact or a way in as of yet.

I've been calling salvage yards and checking the local sales pages but no one has low cost heads, junk or otherwise. They're all high dollar usable heads.

I've been looking for a while.

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,403 Posts
Also try used car lots for classic cars, swap meets, car cruises, etc... ask around of those guys... we've unofficially started some cruises around here about a month ago... one tonight and one tomorrow night... Missouri has to be a hot bed of classic car guys...

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
There is a tall deck model of the BBC (mostly 427's) that was used in some school buses and older trucks, like dump trucks. You might look around in the junker area of school yard garages and truck operators in the area......or if these guys will talk to you, ask if they have heads or engines laying around that you might buy the heads off of. Check farms as you're driving by, for old dump trucks parked behind the barn. Find out who buys up all the old school buses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts