Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my motor for my Camaro a couple of months ago and droped it in. I was bolting the started up and snapped both bolts. I tried to drill and tap the holes but they were never right. I rigged the starter up and started the car once but I think it is kind of ****ed because now it wont start the car. It just grinds. I took it down and tried to heli-coil the hole but I can't get that to work either because the tap keeps snapping. Can anyone else give me any ideas of what to do? The car has been sitting there ready to go forever and I'm dying to get it out. I think a mini starter might help because it uses one of the other bolt holes but that isn't really in my budget right now.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
leftoverchrisac said:
I think a mini starter might help because it uses one of the other bolt holes but that isn't really in my budget right now.
Not sure what you can do about the broken bolts, except for trying to get out the pieces and using the heli-core. Do you have anyone that can help you with this? Changing the starter and shifting the holes will not work unless you change the flexplate/flywheel as well. Good luck, Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
You need to get the holes drilled out straight and get them heli-coiled properly. If you are having trouble getting at them straight on, you may need to yank the engine to do it.

The starter must line up properly or you will destroy it and the flywheel/flexplate.

If you are not real good at doing this, I suggest you get it to a machine shop.

Only other alternative I can think of is to drill them out and then weld them full then drill and tap properly.

Sorry there is no quick fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts