Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
18,428 Posts
If you want the actual weight of your car, go down to your local garbage "transfer station"...............they will weigh it, probably for free.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking to buy a drag car so befor i buy i would like to know the weight on them. Thanks though poncho i didn't know i could do that.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Early Novas are about the lightest you will find.

The problem is that it will take more work to get the suspension to keep the car on the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey bigbad66, If I had just a little more Info I could get you all the specs you need. Theres such a Wide variance from the 60's to 70's. :)

Buck

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
What I usually do is google search the curb weight of whatever car I am looking for, and 80% of the time I can find it

Adam

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I don't know of any book or web site that lists the weights of all cars. I think your request is a little difficult. If you have a few cars in mind then that would help a lot. You also haven't mentioned the type/size engine you will be running. This makes a difference too, some cars are better suited for a small or big block. Suspension is a HUGE factor as well. If you just want a light car to drag race, buy a Chevette or a Vega (the Chevette is lighter).

If you are strictly talking Chevy from the 60's and 70's I would have to agree the Nova's/Chevy II's are probably the lightest. You are still looking at about 3200lbs the early 60's cars would be the lightest/smallest. The problem is these are unibody cars and if you want to run big power you will have a lot of chassis work to do if you want it to really work and live.

Pick a make and model and do a search on it, I know you can find the weight of Novas online I have searched for it before (as well as Camaros).

Royce

·
Registered
300 Posts
Check out this site, it lists the weights of cars. Mostly 80's and 90's though.

vehicle weight

Here's another interesting one, just for fun. It's the weight of engines:

engine weight

I've weighed my car at the garbage transfer station, only cost a couple bucks. Around here, the local drag race track also has a scale that can be used for free.
dh

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
If you want a light car go with a pinto or a Vega. I have a Bobcat, which is the mercury version of a pinto. That thing is light! A Nova or a Maverick would be the next on my list.

·
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator
937 Posts
Some early 60s car are surprisingly light for their size, the 63/64 Olds F85 for example. :cool: My small block Vega weighed like 2940 with half a tank of gas in it. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts