Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1952 Ford pick-up. Everytime I see photos of trucks like mine they always have a stock grille. Some are painted white and others are painted with chrome teeth. I'd like to do something different. I thought about a simple chrome tube grille or a lucite tube grille, but I think that's been over done in the 60's and 70's.

The first photo is a stock 52 grille, the second is my truck waiting for a new grill. Anyone got any ideas???

Attachments

·
Banned
167 Posts
On my 41 Buick I took bumper gaurads and made my own teeth for my grill. Ifilled in the sides and welded a piece across the back for a hidden mount so it looks like it's floating in the opening. If you don't have enough gaurds, you can make a mold and do some out of fiberglass. Of coures that will only work if you paint them. Hope i could help. 41 Kustom

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think an upside down grille would look like I screwed up re-installing it. Yeah, more teeth would make it too busy. I am trying to get away from the toothy grilles. HMMMM...Floating grille, something with a black mesh background, not a bad start. Now what to do with those BUG EYE headlights.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
The thing that makes the front of those trucks so cool is the recessed grille opening. If you do make something make sure it's pulled back into the opening as far as possible with nothing protruding outward. Tuck the bumper in tight or run without one IMO.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
baddbob, I agree. Whatever grille I go with it will be recessed. That way I'll get that frenched look. Since it already has a rolled pan, I'm leaving off the bumper. Possibly some kind of bumperette in the openings where the bumper brackets were.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Custom grill

How about some horizonal bars like the ones on a 47 chevy sedan? You could make some similar to them if you have access to a leaf brake. Or maybe get lucky and find some reasonable original ones.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now that I've had time to think about it, with a black mesh screen I could float just about anything. Chrome bar, bullets, kitchen knobs, lights, my mother-in-law's shrunken head.... Still trying to figure out what to do with those damn BUG EYE headlights. I wonder if dual rectangular headlights from an 80's GM will look good.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Unless you are a really good fabricator, I would leave it alone. Alot of these "customizations" end up looking like a kindergarten creation gone bad.

It looks like a nice truck you have. Maybe just using the OEM, with creative painting. Like having someone pinstripe the "teeth"? Or have them "painted" to look like chrome? Take a pic of the truck, and get out the colored pencils.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem with my 48 Dodge pu. I used a cut down grill from a 50's Buick and sort of recessed it into the grill opening. This will work great untill I get enough material to fab a grill to fit the opening better. This is just another idea for you to toss around. Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm still leaning toward the black mesh grille with something floating in the middle. As for headlights, I can cut out the centers of the air blockers behind the headlights, and countersink the headlight buckets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.