Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
noobie

Hi, i just recently traded for what i think is a 350 motor. The block number is 3970010, I was wondering what year this could of came out, and what kind of power it had stock. Also im not sure what this means, but above the oil filter their is some number the first set of number is 110 or 118. secound set is 386 and the third set is 371. As you can tell im new at this so all help is very appreciated Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to know more about this engine?

I have a few more question regarding this engine that i traded for. Does this block # 3970010 have a good reputation or are they known for cracking? Also I just pulled the heads from this engine#14102193 are they vortex? If so or not are they good for a built 350
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,340 Posts
84chevys said:
I have a few more question regarding this engine that i traded for. Does this block # 3970010 have a good reputation or are they known for cracking? Also I just pulled the heads from this engine#14102193 are they vortex? If so or not are they good for a built 350
The block is the excellent heavy duty 4 inch bore block that been used for the 302, 327 and 350 high performance and heavy duty engines for many years.

The heads are the swirl port 350 heads they are not Vortec heads. Good is in the eye of your intentions, excellent bottom end grunt heads so if you need good fuel mileage, good towing torque, and will use the engine under 4500 RPM these are your puppies, if you want more top end they aren't. Keep in mind that Chevy changed the angle of the 4 center intake manifold bolts in 1987 up to the end of Gen 1 production in 1999 from a 90 degree angle with the port face to a 72 degree angle. Manifolds and heads across this barrier are different, year of intake and head need to match unless you're good at machining.

Bogie
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,051 Posts
84chevys said:
Hi, i just recently traded for what i think is a 350 motor. The block number is 3970010, I was wondering what year this could of came out, and what kind of power it had stock. Also im not sure what this means, but above the oil filter their is some number the first set of number is 110 or 118. secound set is 386 and the third set is 371. As you can tell im new at this so all help is very appreciated Thanks.


This will tell you more about your motor..http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im needing help with some chevy block numbers

First of all i want to thank the ones who have replayed back, With all the helpful information. But im still having a problem finding out what the numbers above the oil filter mean. The first set of numbers are 110 or 118, second set is 386, and the third set is 371. Hopefully, their is someone out their that could explain this to me please. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,340 Posts
84chevys said:
First of all i want to thank the ones who have replayed back, With all the helpful information. But im still having a problem finding out what the numbers above the oil filter mean. The first set of numbers are 110 or 118, second set is 386, and the third set is 371. Hopefully, their is someone out their that could explain this to me please. Thanks
The meaningfull numbers are:

A) Stamped on a pad ahead of the right side (pass) head in the block, these are the original VIN and tell you where and when the engine was built and what it was installed to.

B) The numbers cast on a pad on the left side (drivers) of the bellhousing mounting flange, these are the complete block casting number, and the casting date code.

C) Sometimes the last three digits of the block casting number appear ahead of the stater between the right side freeze plugs.

On the exterior of the block most any-other number you see are the id numbers of the molds used in the foundry.

Inside the timing cover and sometimes behind the flywheel/flexplate on the block will be numbers cast indicating the percentage of tin and nickle used to alloy the iron. These will usually be 010 or 020. They indicate that .1% or .2% of something went into the mix. Usually you'll see 010 on everything, this is tin used to help the iron flow better making a more dense casting. The 020 is usually a second number with the 010, it indicates the block has .2% nickle added, this is for strength. A block with both numbers is highly desirable an 3970010 casting number block can have both and 4 bolt mains to boot, but not always.

Bogie
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
3970010 is or is virtually the MOST common casting and is a VERY good block

no worries about it strength wise or crack wise

not crack prone at all so dont worry about this

there are no inherent issues with this casting at all

i have owned tons of them and they are always very good


you need more codes from the engine to find out year and power etc

this casting code was also shared with 302 and 327 and were used in just about everyt year make model from 1969 through 1979 and some 1968 corvettes and camaros also.


010 and 020 cast in the bellhousing area would indicate high nickel and high tin content both and makes for a harder block less prone to wear than just 010 blocks

so therefore more desireable

anmd are common also i ahve owned lots of these too
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top