Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down here in South Carolina, we don't have to worry about this too often. A week ago the highs were in the low-mid 70s. Lately we are getting into the 50s during the day :p

But I am sure my Canadian and northern US friends could learn from this lesson. Check out this video (529 KB).

I have some other funny stuff here, some of which may have already been posted here.

Enjoy, Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,810 Posts
I never could believe the sound barriar footage. Somoething about the way it was taken and the story behind the picture just screams Photo shop to me.

Neat picture though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ha that could happen,LOL! too funny!LOL! What I do is I start it up, put on the heater high,then go back in an wait for 20 minutes.I then drive with all the snow blowing off the car,blinding all drivers behind me.:thumbup::pimp:

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
johnsongrass1 said:
I never could believe the sound barriar footage. Somoething about the way it was taken and the story behind the picture just screams Photo shop to me.

Neat picture though.
Here is the picture johnsongrass1 is talking about: http://www.rense.com/general8/boom.htm

Okay, you sparked my curiousity. Did a little Googling and check out what I found on that particular photo: http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/soundbarrier.htm

Here's another site showing more jets photographed breaking the sound barrier: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/soubar.html

Now you got check the video out of the F-14 on that site: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/soubar2.html#c1

EDIT - If the website video does not work, click here for Windows Media Player format (451 KB)

Man, if you look at the video of that F-14, you can see it wiggle when it really busts a vapor cloud. Looks real to me. But you decide. Ed. www.edgesz28.com[/url

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,810 Posts
I might have to back down here. I've done a little research myself on the subject. Seems it happens more often than I thought.

One thing that's got me puzzled though, in the clip the plane comes from the spectators right side and passes to their left. In the photograph the plane is going from left to right. According to the guy's story he clicks the shutter speed at the moment he hears the boom. Would'nt the plane have already been past the point it split the sonic waves to produce the sonic boom? So by the time the photographer heard the boom, the plane would have been at a point ahead in the direction of travel from where the sound would have been produced?

Second thing, in the video the sky's were partly cloudy, had to have been to produce the humidity needed to form these vapor clouds. But the photograph shows nothing but perfect looking sky's. As if a high barometric pressure was present. That means no moisture in the air to form clouds. hmmmmm......

Third, It's my knowledge the government has put a stop to breaking into supersonic below a specified altitude due to windows being broken in houses, picture frames falling off walls car alarms going off, among other things affect by the intense thunder that accompanies the waves of sonic travel. Living about two hours from Whitman air Airforce Base, one of the largest Airforce Bases, as well as home of the B-2 bomber(Which I get to see almost daily) and many other top secret aircraft, I'm quite used to hearing sonic booms. Used to happen at my old neighborhood, sometimes as many as several times per day. Point being, the aircraft carrier was said to be less than a 100 feet altitude and the spectators were 200 yards away, They would have been deaf from the sound, maybe would have even been dead to the sound pressure. Anybody know what the human body can take as far as sound pressure before damage occurs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts