Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I need some help to ID a Ford top loader Flathead manual trans for a friend, my buddy that I would call is no longer around on earth he in Flathead Heaven . Need idea of years trans was used and what kind it is. There is no numbers on the top bell-housing, but near the inside clutch rod casing to front trans ( 4 bolts has WG 10 on pass side and on driver side has T8D1 1/2 A ) and
on the gear box side of case on the driver side has W G- CO and below that had T8D-1A or 7A and on the pass side has 59T-7006 and below that N4 cast in its case. Top of trans cover has 6 bolts and shift rod and the front of cover has 3 raised rows and same in the rear ( I guess for inside shifting rods ), rear of trans has a brake drum for stopping. He will take off the top of the trans if needed and Thanks for all your help..be safe out there all.

Attachments

·
Slow but willing learner
5,309 Posts
Hi all. I need some help to ID a Ford top loader Flathead manual trans for a friend, my buddy that I would call is no longer around on earth he in Flathead Heaven . Need idea of years trans was used and what kind it is. There is no numbers on the top bell-housing, but near the inside clutch rod casing to front trans ( 4 bolts has WG 10 on pass side and on driver side has T8D1 1/2 A ) and
on the gear box side of case on the driver side has W G- CO and below that had T8D-1A or 7A and on the pass side has 59T-7006 and below that N4 cast in its case. Top of trans cover has 6 bolts and shift rod and the front of cover has 3 raised rows and same in the rear ( I guess for inside shifting rods ), rear of trans has a brake drum for stopping. He will take off the top of the trans if needed and Thanks for all your help..be safe out there all.
Im not sure what it is but I am pretty sure what it isn’t. All the car transmissions I am familiar with had torque tube style closed drivelines and did not have a trans mounted E brake.

That would most likely make this a truck or tractor transmission. If I am right, the bell housing and adapter ring are probably worth more than the transmission itself.

John

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, so you think its a truck trans or tractor, what would the pattern be...reverse down and to the right and a granny 1st up to the left? Not a over drive trans, right? And can the trans bolt up to a different bell housing? Do all the fords trans bolt up from the inside in 1938 - 1950's or so ? Or when did Ford change the ears on the trans to outside bolts to the bell housing ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the top trans plate tell how many gears the trans has...this trans has 3 ridges front and 3 ridges back...So I guess 3 shifting forks move inside forward and 3 back ? Or it does not work that way ? Thanks for all your help!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
truck transmission

A lot of different companies that make truck transmissions had the same bolt pattern on the front of the trans. That made it easier to swap in overhead valve engines (olds, Caddy, Chrysler, Buick etc) engines into old farm trucks. the W G I think means warner gear. Like posted a "stump puller". old hot rodders used Lincoln Zepher gears in Ford car transmissions for more speed in first and second gears. The Flathead trans used to blow up with high horsepower, Even after install roller bearings the full length of the cluster gear.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
That is a Borg Warner four speed out of a 3/4 ton or bigger truck. It worth it's weight in iron. The bell housing adapter is in demand to adapt T5 five speeds to a flathead. It's worth much more than the transmission. The same basic four speed was used from about 1930 to 1953 in the US, longer in other countries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts