Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What suggestions or experience have any of you had with coating/painting/protecting the underside of fiberglass components? I've been thinking about the spray on truck bed liner stuff. Also, how does powdercoating the frame compare to other options like POR-15 or paint or something else?
Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
For undercoating fiberglass I'd use POR-15 Pelucid. A polyurethane that will stand up to anything you can throw at it.

Powdercoating is a great option, it will stand up to nearly anything as well. Both powdercoating and POR-15 is very durable, but POR-15 is a bit less exspensive. Powdercoating you have many color options, POR-15 you are limited to a few basic colors and sheen choices. I recomend both, its up to you on what color you want to use and if you want to put the work into covering the frame yourself with the POR-15.

HK

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Many of the rodders around here have the undersides of fenders, bodies, splash aprons, and other open-to-the-road areas sprayed with a bedliner material in complementary colors to their paint, or plain black and then spray the matching paint over it. It sure eleiminates the "stars" you can pick up on our gravel-strewn freeways!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm using colored gel coat for under my fiberglass. After all is sure holds up well on my boat! Here ia a link to were you can find it.
<a href="http://www.fibreglast.com" target="_blank">http://www.fibreglast.com</a>

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had great luck with having fiberglass fenders coated with truck bed liner spray. You can buy it from a company called duplicolor or better yet take the car to a Rino lined aplicator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing your ideas.
I felt that I was going down a good path and now I know I still am.
I think I'll powdercoat the frame, use truck bed liner on the underside of the fiberglass and highly consider POR-15 for anything else that will be left for me to do myself.

·
Registered
137 Posts
that link wills41 gave you is a great company to do business with i have used them a lot, great products

bomo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by maroongold:
<strong>What suggestions or experience have any of you had with coating/painting/protecting the underside of fiberglass components? I've been thinking about the spray on truck bed liner stuff. Also, how does powdercoating the frame compare to other options like POR-15 or paint or something else?
Thanks in advance. :) </strong><hr></blockquote>

·
Registered
94 Posts
What is POR-15 and where do you get it?Sounds like something I'd like to use on the underside of my street rod. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts