Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am trying to identify a torque converter i had in my GM 700r4
This was advertised as a 2500 stall from the previous owner and seemed to do OK with the moderate cam that was in the vehicle. But now i may the step up the cam a bit and am trying to know the specs on the converter.
The only markings i see is a tag - 8653701
Not sure if anyone can tell anything more by the design etc.
pics attached

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Spend some money, and get a nice one while its out. Don't go cheap here. There is a difference you can feel, BIG TIME with a nice converter.
Mine was worth .4 seconds in the 1/4 mile. That's almost 50 HP El Cheapo was robbing from me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i have the boss hog 2800-3200 converter in my cart now. Its $400 and im really not wanting to go over that. Ill probably pick it up but still want to know what i got. I didnt see anything stamped but i will check over again shortly

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Might as well keep what you have. Its already paid for.
Often, a converter will stall higher with more power, which is what more cam might do.
But its hard to tell with no info on current setup, or what you are planning to change to.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
You might not find any identity information, a lot of the cheaper convertor makers don't bother to stamp them with an ID code. I had one in the past that I sent off to TCI for re-work and they came back to me saying the internals weren't even worth bothering with for a re-work. There's a decent market out there for the hot rodders that want a little more stall speed than a stock unit but don't want or need to go full tilt towards a race level unit. That market is preyed on by a lot of dubious convertor "builders" and has been for quite sometime now. I'm not saying your unit is bad or anything like that, but at $400 it provided what level of performance it is going to give. In my case the unit wasn't even worth welding back together and shipping it home.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The code at the end of the tag looks like DE8F, which is around 1650 stall stock.
It doesn’t look to be rebuilt.Usually that tag gets lost during the rebuild process and restamped or a new tag is attached.

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
Yeah i have the boss hog 2800-3200 converter in my cart now. Its $400 and im really not wanting to go over that. Ill probably pick it up but still want to know what i got. I didnt see anything stamped but i will check over again shortly
Boss Hogg, aka Alabama Converter Corp is not exactly a prime converter builder....they fall into the cheap-out internals category Chasracer mentioned in his post.
Been there done that, you won't fool me again. I'd look elsewhere if i was you.

for $400, see if Freakshow Performance or FTI have something that would work, you'll be a lot happier..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok i will look. Yeah it looks like fti has something in the 500 range but is only rated for 400hp. And the other smaller brands like monster transmission have competition models at a similar price. Kinda looks like you get what you pay and the cheaper brands make higher claims etc. The car will not be driven very much at all and not dogged on so ill have to make a choice

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Boss Hogg, aka Alabama Converter Corp is not exactly a prime converter builder....they fall into the cheap-out internals category Chasracer mentioned in his post.
Been there done that, you won't fool me again. I'd look elsewhere if i was you.

for $400, see if Freakshow Performance or FTI have something that would work, you'll be a lot happier..
Yep, and quite a bit quicker too!
I learned the hard way, if I listened to Eric the first time he told me this, I wouldn't have wasted the first $400.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im also interested in opinions on lockup vs nonlockup. I know a lot of people swear by non lockup but my mechanic is recommending lockup unless i go to an extremely tall gear. Esp with the low 1st gear in the 700.

·
Registered
62 Posts
lock up turns that 3500 stall into a stocker when cruising. I run a 3800 in my daily, and it slips from a take off, but the rest i command to lock up, and it's just like a stock driver, until i psuh the loud pedal. I had a maverick 20 years ago with a non lock up 4500, and that was slipppppppppping everywhere i went. got like 5 mpgs, i bet with a lock up, it probably woulda got 12 mpgs then

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all, I am trying to identify a torque converter i had in my GM 700r4
This was advertised as a 2500 stall from the previous owner and seemed to do OK with the moderate cam that was in the vehicle. But now i may the step up the cam a bit and am trying to know the specs on the converter.
The only markings i see is a tag - 8653701
Not sure if anyone can tell anything more by the design etc.
pics attached
looks kinda ruff around the bolt holes

·
Registered
541 Posts
Im also interested in opinions on lockup vs nonlockup. I know a lot of people swear by non lockup but my mechanic is recommending lockup unless i go to an extremely tall gear. Esp with the low 1st gear in the 700.
OK. In my project car, I have a sbc350/330 horse crate motor, carbureted. Hooked to a 700R4 trannie and Ford 9" with 4:11 gears. This will be a street cruiser only. I know nothing, zip about converters. What do most recommend?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.