Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 33 Ford on a Cornhusker chassis with a Heidt's front suspension. I'm trying to identify the particular type of suspension, i.e. a Mustang II, etc.. I know the front wheels are American Racing with a 14X6 bolt pattern. Attached are a couple of pics if the front suspension if anyone can help identify it.

Thanks,

John
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
It's an aftermarket suspension based on the Pinto (aka Mustang II) geometry. Nothing on the car is directly interchangeable with a factory Pinto/MII suspension. The lower control arms are modified to not require the strut rod used in the OEM version.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an aftermarket suspension based on the Pinto (aka Mustang II) geometry. Nothing on the car is directly interchangeable with a factory Pinto/MII suspension. The lower control arms are modified to not require the strut rod used in the OEM version.
Thanks Joe. I know it is manufactured by Heidts, so now I can continue my quest for parts with some confidence. I appreciate your reply!

·
Registered
279 Posts
One thing that sticks out to me is that it is rear steer, while the MII is front steer. This means a MII rack will not work. It is possible that it is more Jag based than MII, but I have to agree with Joe, it is a hybrid design. At one time, many high end street rods were built with Jaguar suspension. Probably a clean sheet build based on available components, though. Custom spindles at the very least.

Edit: Here is a link to what I think you have:

Says it is not Mustang II based.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing that sticks out to me is that it is rear steer, while the MII is front steer. This means a MII rack will not work. It is possible that it is more Jag based than MII, but I have to agree with Joe, it is a hybrid design. At one time, many high end street rods were built with Jaguar suspension. Probably a clean sheet build based on available components, though. Custom spindles at the very least.

Edit: Here is a link to what I think you have:

Says it is not Mustang II based.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a followup, I received a callback from Mike at Heidt's. What a great customer service experience!! This is a Heidt's Superide Independent Front Suspension, 4 1/2" Ford bolt pattern, with Wilwood brakes. Thanks to all that helped and answered my questions!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts