Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter fell in love with this car and I need help identifying it. Not sure I'm going to buy one for her, but would like to start some research on it. View attachment 617734

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
1,051 Posts
My daughter fell in love with this car and I need help identifying it. Not sure I'm going to buy one for her, but would like to start some research on it. View attachment 617734
Bogie is correct, it's a Citroen 2CV.. a French company

The 2CV[edit]
Citroën unveiled the Citroën 2CV or Deux Chevaux signifying two tax horsepower and initially only 9 hp (6.7 kW), at the Paris Salon in 1948. The car became a bestseller, achieving the designer's aim of providing rural French people with a motorized alternative to the horse. It was unusually inexpensive to purchase and, with its small two cylinder engine, inexpensive to run as well. The 2CV pioneered a very soft, interconnected suspension, but did not have the more complex self-levelling feature. This car remained in production, with only minor changes, until 1990 and was a common sight on French roads until recently; 9 million 2CV variants were produced in the period 1948–1990.[20]

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,318 Posts
Wickedly unsafe. Tin cans with bouncy suspensions and horrible brakes.

Find one for sale and go test drive it. They have a 435cc engine that makes 14 hp and have a top speed of 45 mph. If you are smart and get a later version, they had a 603cc engine that makes 29 hp and a top speed of 53 mph. In some states, that means they're not even legal to drive on an interstate or divided highway.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
xTremely unsafe vehicle

Find one for sale and go test drive it. They have a 435cc engine that makes 14 hp and have a top speed of 45 mph. If you are smart and get a later version, they had a 603cc engine that makes 29 hp and a top speed of 53 mph. In some states, that means they're not even legal to drive on an interstate or divided highway.
Don't worry guys...as I said in the first post, I needed to see a few things, safety being the priority. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to pass. Heck, even the 2000-2015 Mini Cooper didn't pass as it is too small and not enough mass.

John

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
Get her a 61-63 Rambler American if she likes "so ugly it's cute" (and I'm a Rambler guy!) . I drove one as a daily driver for 14 years from 84-98. Tough little cars! The engine requires more maintenance than most (solid lifters need adjusting and head bolts checked every 10-12K miles are the only things different from other points cars), and parts are starting to be harder to come by. You can't just go get a water pump at the local parts store, for example -- one will have to be ordered. They are still reasonably affordable for an old car though, and there are 3-4 AMC/Rambler specialty dealers. The 58-60 is about the same, but rounded and looks better to most -- sort of like a 3/4 size 50 Ford.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Yeah, as I said, when I was in Germany, they were the rage. Have mechanical brake and brakes only on the front. Plus, if you had a philllips screwdriver, you could take most of the body panels off. Seats were something else, also. Had like a pipe framework, with canvas stretched over then. Plus, a very "butt ugly" car

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess the best part of this whole deal is that they are listing on classic car sights for 24k.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It is a car that is not really adapted to the US (long distances, people like their comfort...), but it is not a bad car at all! Sturdy, reliable, easy to work on, they have regular (hydraulic) brakes on all wheels (contrary to what was said earlier). Excellent suspension, very soft, but perfect for dirt roads! The later models will drive 70 mph, making an amazing amount of noise! In Europe, you can find every single part you would need, and you can actually build a complete running car without a single Citroen part! And in the US, people will stare as you drive by! But indeed, it is not for everyone...

·
Registered
544 Posts
It is a car that is not really adapted to the US (long distances, people like their comfort...), but it is not a bad car at all! Sturdy, reliable, easy to work on, they have regular (hydraulic) brakes on all wheels (contrary to what was said earlier). Excellent suspension, very soft, but perfect for dirt roads! The later models will drive 70 mph, making an amazing amount of noise! In Europe, you can find every single part you would need, and you can actually build a complete running car without a single Citroen part! And in the US, people will stare as you drive by! But indeed, it is not for everyone...
All I can tell you, when I lived in Germany (1967-1969) they were all over the place and, whenever you saw a major wreck , with one, it was usually fatal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.