Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after three months I got my truck back. Spent one complete day putting the headlining in. It was plastic backed vs. the foam backing and I had to cut it out for the sunroof. Major job for someone that can only get one arm in the air. Anyways I got it in. The rear window louvers did not match so they are getting repainted. I decided to save a few buck by putting the bedliner in vs. getting a spray in liner all due to the fact that I have to get my furnace hooked up in the garage. So to put the bedliner in I had to remove the rear spoiler. I warned the guy helping me "DO NOT SCRATCH THE TRUCK" It has been a pain to get peinted from the get go by spraying the paint at different times on seperate panels. Anyways we unbolt the rear spoiler. He set his tools down while I am taking out the remaining bolt. I turn and the spoiler drops and rolls down the tailgate supperts. Dig, dig, scratch, gouge. My own stupid fault. Just about made me sick. But I just suck it up, get the liner in, call the painter and tell him I have an extra part to paint. So they should be done tomorrow. Well I proceed to get my wheels and tires. 17" Torque Thrust. I get them on and when I pick up the truck they look great. FROM THE SIDE. The tire guy ordered stock offset rims. For the front I don't mind because I always had a small clearance problem with the flares. But the back...if you look at the truck from an angle you can't see any tire or wheel. They sit in WAY too far. Then he tries to tell me that they only come in one offset. 5" offset to boot. Not good enough. He then tells me he will order a different tire size to fill up the rear. No problem, I don't ming a larger size on the rear as long as the "look" is right. So I come back home, look at what is on there and the tire is two sizes smaller than the one he is going to order. Yet the one that he is going to order is the size that was on there to begin with. Oh well it will be fixed Tuesday. BUT..I was washing the truck and when I was drying it I found a bolt was loose on the visor. No problem except the painter put in welded insert to hold the bolts and the damn INSERT is loose (spinning on the backside) He never tightened it. Now the headliner is in and has to come back out. With the bolt being loose water just runs right on in. AAARRRGGGHHH! I won't get to drive the truck until next Spring probably. Anyways I just had to vent. I'd just like to know why people just can't take their time a little and do things right the first time. At least the paint is great. It is a purple pearl over the factory original color and over the other purple, so at night under the right lighting it has a real deep wine / purple cast to it. Looks good sitting in the garage all the time. LOL!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Kevin45,

Are you sure you didn't receive Bullhiemers luck?
The paint job looks great!
I see what you mean about the tires and rims. From the picture you attached, the rear rim looks very small compared to the front.
Attention to detail can kill the best laid plans.

Again, looks great Kevin,

Dutch:thumbup:

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
Never never use one of those drop in bedliners, they'll rust the bed out very quickly. It costs more, but Rhino Guard lining or equivelant is the only way to go. Why didn't you put the white letters out like you had originally, I though it looked great that way. Who cares what these little dufus's on here think about white letters not lookin' good.:p

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
The truck looks great! STAY AWAY FROM THE MALL! j/k. Very nice. :thumbup: Dan

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the compliments guys. The reason for the bedliner is that I already had it, running out of cash as I have to get my backyard excavated next week and I NEED to get the attic insulated in the garage and the furnace hooked up. As far as the white letters I thought I would just go for a change this time and have the blackwalls out. Once I get the wheel situation straightened out and the other things done I will probably get the liner sprayed. Hell..winter is just around the corner so I'll have a few more months to work on it. I haven't drove it since the beginning of March so I need to enjoy it a little before I put it away.

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
Kevin45 said:
I haven't drove it since the beginning of March so I need to enjoy it a little before I put it away.
Oh crap, you have had some bad luck! I can't beleive it's been that long.:drunk:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad luck, bro! The truck is looking good though! :thumbup:

Rock on and God bless...

Señor

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Kevin45 said:
I'd just like to know why people just can't take their time a little and do things right the first time.
Hence my ''do it yourself'' attitude. Screw the man.:p I'm not going to pay anyone to screw up something I can screw up for free.:mwink:

Truck is looking good Kevin.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man it only gets worse. I think I've been "Bullheimered"!!! LOL!! Swapped tires for the ones that was originally going to be put on. Made a little difference but not enough. So the tire guy tells me that we need to order the rim with a 4" backspacing instead of 5". WHOA!!!! Why didn't we do that a week ago. So have too wait until next week to finally.....FINALLY get it straightened out. I'll take care of the painter this weekend. On my other Silverado ('93 with a 4.3) it would huff a little smoke on startup. Called to see if it is covered under the warranty when I bought it. 3mo / 3000 mi. Yep with a $100 deductible. I figured it was valve seals. I take it to the dealer, explain what it does, and he tells me they have to run a diagnostic on it for $54. If the warranty company will cover it then they will waive the fee. I tell him to call the warranty company to see if valve seals are covered before I pay the $54. He tells me I can call. So I call and ask if valve stem seal are covered as it specifies any oil lubricated part. She tells me it is not excluded. So I say that means it is included under the warranty then. She again tells me it's not excluded. WTF is up with the word play lady? So I drop it off at the dealers. They pull it in the next day, check it out, determine it is the valve seals, then calls me and leaves a message that it is going to cost $468.00 to have it done. I am at work so I don't get the message until evening. Back over to the dealers we go. I explain again that it is not EXCLUDED under warranty. Oh he says. Now he has to call and see if it is or not. After about 45 minutes he determines that they are allowed to cover it but I am to pay $100 deductible. I knew that two days ago Einstein. So it went in today. They called after work and tells me it's done and to pick it up. I pay and I can't find the truck. He tells me they just pulled it around. My buddy starts it up...no smoke!! Good. When I am following him home (he's driving my truck) I notice a little smoke as he pulls around the corner. I didn't think too much of it at the moment. I get home, leave for a little bit in my other ride, come back and start the other truck and lo and behold the SUMBICH SMOKES WORSE ON STARTUP THAN IT DID BEFORE. Not only that, it is huffing a little smoke all the time now!! I'm gonna jerk a knot in someones tail tomorrow. Why in the hell can't people do things RIGHT the FIRST time. I bet anything that there was seal torn when it was put in. It used to only smoke on startup and never smoke while it ran. Now it smokes all the time. This has got to be the Bullheimer curse. Bull was so mad for having bad luck he's hexed us all. LOL!!!! Sorry Bull!! Just had to vent. We'll see what this weekend brings. I am getting ready to have the backyard excavated. I'm not gonna wager what will go wrong there.:smash: :smash: :smash:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Holy cow Kev, you can't seem to catch a break can you? I do have to say though, that paint job looks REALLY good.

but it's still just a chebby :spank:

:welcome:
MoocH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts