Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the depressing things happening within my family right now, I just wanted to see what all of you thought about my niece's video. She is the lead singer.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=974129101

Her band is getting great reviews (although not my type of music) and I just wanted to see what you all thought of it.

Put aside you personal preferences and give me an honest opinion as far as talent.

Thanks.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Does she have a voice the next day? I guess if you are into that kind of music, but.....It looks like the crowd is enjoying it.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
That type of hardcore music is dominated by guys. Not to many girls have the guts and the balls to do that and when they do they stand out from all the other bands and usually do pretty well. I would be proud. :sweat: Just a lil constructive criticism... She needs to jump around and punch people in the face more. :cool:

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
That's music????.................... :D ....

Hey...she's doing something constructive................ :thumbup:

·
russlaferrera
203 Posts
If you get a chance check this out

Loanstar, This cult music is or never will be mainstream. Not my type of music. That being said. I could give it 1 star for the beat. The lyrics are of no value, there is no real story, or message. It is impossible to hear her vocal range.

I am taking account of my age. I remember, The Maguire sisters, Perry Como. Frank Sinatra, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Little Richard, Ted Nugent, Puff Daddy and others (sorry about the spelling) The point is music has and will evolve. I do not see a future in this type of music.

My Best Friend's son played in a similar band (I can not remember the name) They were number 2 in the country and they all had regular jobs to support their music as it did not pay enough to live on. This should prove my point. This type of music IMHO is nowhere.

The surprising part (to me) of the band was they all were great people. No drugs, very respectful, honest and fun loving...russ

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Damn..I'm gettin too old...could only handle a few secs of the video. I wish her and the band all the luck in the world though!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm honestly not a fan of those type of vocals/genre of music but I'm not ignorant to say that it's just a load of bull because it takes an awful lot of talent to be able to growl in that manner without just destroying your voice, gotta come from the gut. She's got one hell of a menacing voice surprisingly. If I was a fan of that genre of music, I'd give it my constructive criticism but here's where I shall stop my rambling. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
You are playing this to the wrong crowd, lonestar. If the tickets are selling then the proof is in the pudding. I'll bet she gets signed for the novelty aspect.
Saying that,

I can only imagine what having an argument with that chick sounds like :pain:
Why am I reminded of this girl here?

To me the music sounded like a bad wheel bearing on steroids.

Buy her a gunny sack full of cough drops for christmas.

I saw the vid of her smacking the fan. He looked like he was digging it.

What's the world coming to?

Later, mikey

·
Registered
93 Posts
if you get a chance, check this out

I've been into music my whole life. I played guitar in bands in the late 50s and 60s. Early rock and roll, pop (weddings and such), and folk. I like most types. Although I don't like this stuff, the music flows and the members have a presence on stage. They should do well - if their audience doesn't overdose.

Animal

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies.

Again, not my type of music but I still support her 100%, and I am proud of her determination.

It seems that not too long ago she was a cute little toddler that loved playng with the cows on the farm...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Lonestar said:
Thanks for the replies.

Again, not my type of music but I still support her 100%, and I am proud of her determination.

It seems that not too long ago she was a cute little toddler that loved playng with the cows on the farm...
That's all that matters is you supporting her and her actually enjoying what she's doing. She is one of a kind considering the fact that most extreme metal acts are fronted by guys 99% of the time. Kudos to her.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have a few friends that are into the screamo music, myself not so much, I like music where I can sing along and tap my foot to the beat.
The tune itself (guitar parts, riffs etc.) isnt too bad, anyone who's ever been in a band knows how hard it is to pull songs of in complete harmony with each other (everyone playing their parts right, everything gel's, you become one body instead of 4 separate players) and you can tell your niece's band has practiced a lot. Not my style, but I think they're got a good start.

Mike

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I work with kids, basically 18-20 year ols. They are Christians and they listen to some "Christian" bands that sound like that. I can't stand them either. I am also old but just can't ferret out any entertainment value in screaming.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Phil Anselmo from Pantera started this vocal style back in the early '90's. Alot of bands have been putting their own spin on it ever since. Personally, it's a bit much for even me..And I'm into alot of the newer metal bands out there. Killswitch Engage, and Shadows Fall come immediatley to mind. But in with the screaming, these guys also can back it down and actually sing. I've been playing bass since I was 12, now I'm 42, and still into playing and hearing new music. I was in a band doing all original material for 13 years, we put out three albums, and one E.P.. Took a shot at the big time, and just didn't make it. It's a tough business to try and make it. The recording industry is the biggest bunch of crooks out there. They search for the next big thing, sign young kids that are so caught up in being rockstars, that they don't properly read contracts, and end up being ripped off. All the money that the record companies spend on making a band's CD, the band has to work off by going on tour. A few years ago I read an interview with the band "Collective Soul", and during the time when their song "Shine" was getting tons of radio airplay, they were on tour making only $150 a week. They had a few songs getting regular airplay, and now they're in the "Where are they now file?" It's alot harder for bands that don't get any radio support. Well I'm done sounding like "captain bringdown", I personally wish her lots'o'luck. Like Bon Scott said, "It's a long way to the top, if you wanna rock and roll"........

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It is extremely TOUGH to get anywhere with music now-a-days. There are an insane amount of underground garage-bands in every city which have the skill, drive, energy and potential as the big name bands on MTV do.
It's not so much about the music anymore, it's the attitude and the image. If you get lucky, and I mean really lucky, a producer might sign you 'cause he saw you somehwere (hard to get to a spot where producers are watching in the first place) and give it a shot. If the public embraces you (meaning you're either "diferent" enough to start a new wave, or "cool" enough to hang with the big dogs) you get a good start, but still a long way to the top.
Truth is, it doenst matter how good your music is, what matters is you got someone running the band with connections and business smarts. If you wanna get anywhere, you need a top-of-the-line manager.

Mike

1 - 20 of 44 Posts