Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new here and would appreciate some feedback. I have been unable to decide whether to install an ifs or drop axle in my project. I am building a fenderless 31 model a truck. i want a tasteful mix of traditional and modern. I love the look of the drop axles but want the performance of an ifs. I have designed a independant dropped axle design that I am considering fabricating. Any suggestions? I will only use the ifs if it looks clean, nothing frame wise showing. has anyone built a drop axle that could hang in there with an ifs? Thank you

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Some may disagree but here's my cut at it......

Traditional: Dropped "I" beam with split bones or hairpins.

Semi Traditional: Dropped "I" beam with four link.

Street Rod non traditional: IFS

All that said, unless you're going to be thrashing around road courses its hard to beat a dropped "I" beam with a four link. Its a nice compromise between traditional and modern but still has the overall look of an "I" beam installation.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“If money is what makes cars fast, mine otta be going 400 miles an hour!". - Felix Sabates

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ifs vs drop axle

thank you centerline, i couldnt agree more. I prefer the i beam and bones over anything. But, Id like the capability of cornering if my right foot warrants it. not that it would be that often. i dont know what to do. Looks or function. Thanks

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Fenderless = traditional w/beam axle

Fendered = either way, Mine is w/IFS but is fully fendered and in my part of the country, not a bad idea.

If you are in fact doing a truck, I suggest you do some Photoshop work to make sure it's 'right' w/o fenders as many leave a lot IMHO, to be desired :nono:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Irelands child said:

If you are in fact doing a truck, I suggest you do some Photoshop work to make sure it's 'right' w/o fenders as many leave a lot IMHO, to be desired :nono:
While this is a 1932 Ford DEUCE pickup :D
The lines are similar enough to envision what a Model A pickup could look like.

NOTICE the drilled I-Beam axle :cool:

IMHO a split wishbone looks the best on a non fendered vehicle but the 4 bar most definitely RIDES and HANDLES better. Some concessions sometimes have to be made ... for ease of parts availability and getting the vehicle up and done.

For a truely " tradional " Model A ... you would need bias ply tires, a 6volt system and a generator. On my 32's ... I use a 4 bar front suspension, a 12 Volt alternator and radial tires. Tradition be damned ...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ifs or dropped axle

Irelands child said:

Fendered = either way, Mine is w/IFS but is fully fendered and in my part of the country, not a bad idea.

I agree with the "child". If no fenders dropped, fenders either way. I have had a 40 ford with a dropped axle, and I have a 33 and 46 full fender-ed both with Mustang II, the 40 had a 4" dropped axle, rode good, the 46 maybe rides a hair better, corners better than the 40.

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
drop axle vs ifs

thank you for the responses. I totally agree the drop axle is the right look. I just like the challenge of having the best of both worlds. Its hard enough pulling off a fenderless truck correctly to begin with. What do you guys think about my independant drop axle design I came up with? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Axle

65shelby said:
thank you for the responses. I totally agree the drop axle is the right look. I just like the challenge of having the best of both worlds. Its hard enough pulling off a fenderless truck correctly to begin with. What do you guys think about my independant drop axle design I came up with? Is it worth it?
What does it look like and is it safe, guys have used twin I beams, but I have no idea how they worked for them. The frame Deuce showed looks good to me. Your not going road racing. Ifs on a fender less car looks bad IMO.

Bob

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
For what it's worth, there is this alternative.

Traditional look...

But it is IFS...(Ford Twin I-Beam).

And here are twin beams on an open wheel car.

Twin beams are best suited to hand fabricated frames but they can be adapted to exisitng frames as well. The first photo above uses a Ford Econoline frame with the front rails massaged to accommodate the twin beams.

For more info and pics on using twin beams you can click here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
drop vs ifs

i love the feedback, thank you. most likely I will run a drop axle for the look. Its hard to beat. i will attach my ifs drop axle design as soon as I figure out how to. Im not to crazy about the twin I-beam. Did I mention this truck is on a duece frame? i think they look nice, especially open wheel. ill get some pictures up as soon as I have anything worth showing. Thanks again

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
drop vs ifs

that website was great to look at. You have to appreciate that fabrication. Thats not exactly what I have in mind, but I sure admired it.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
65shelby said:
Hello all, I am new here and would appreciate some feedback. I have been unable to decide whether to install an ifs or drop axle in my project. I am building a fenderless 31 model a truck. i want a tasteful mix of traditional and modern. I love the look of the drop axles but want the performance of an ifs. I have designed a independant dropped axle design that I am considering fabricating. Any suggestions? I will only use the ifs if it looks clean, nothing frame wise showing. has anyone built a drop axle that could hang in there with an ifs? Thank you
My take is a simple one, some would say simple minded. :D I say I drive an old car because I like to drive OLD cars and I want it to feel like one. I will make improvements but I want the improvements being sort of "period".

Your split I Beam idea is pushing the "Improvements" in my way of thinking, but not too much. :) I have to wonder how much better it can be without what a proper IRS provides, like anti dive and more constant camber or at least controlable camber mods. I honestly don't think it will be that big of a difference from a properly set up I beam. I have been pretty impressed with how they can handle.

Brian

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
There actually are some decent looking IFS's on fenderless vehicles but they are pretty complex pushrod (Indy car) type with inboard springs and shocks. Heidt's makes something close, but expensive in comparison with a nice I-beam set up($5200 for what I like). Also, not sure how good it would look on a p/u.

Dave W

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
drop axle vs ifs

thanks for all the help guys. I have decided to go with a drop axle. I like the look better, even though I will miss the ride. I do love taking those corners.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Just for your viewing "enjoyment" a couple of fenderless roadsters, top one is a '32,the 2nd is a '31 on deuce rails- one w/I-beam, the other w/IFS

Then my full fendered '31 with IFS:

Dave W

1 - 20 of 66 Posts