Hot Rod Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,324 Posts
user151 said:
I wish you guys would define your terms because I don't think that's what Sam meant when he said "if the length of the drag link matches the length of the radius rods.." -- that to me describes a side steer drag link. What you show as a cross link can also be called a drag link but that is cross steer.
I'm sorry! The term was wrong as far as cross link or drag link but the geometry is still the same, the arcs of the links have to match.

Brian

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Steering Terminology 101

Drag link = from steering arm to steering box, whether its cross steering (Vega) or longitudinal (F100, Mustang, Schroeder)

Tie rod = from steering arm to steering arm or spindle to spindle

User 151 - again!! You are in the wrong place/forum for your rinky dink aggressive and condescending comments attempting to "correct" folks like Centerline, Martinsr, or Deuce. Quite frankly, rags like Rod and Custom are often very, very wrong.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Pictured is the the drag link style..the other is cross link style. either works if setup correctly..

Sam

Centerline said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the type steering that's being refereed to as a "drag link" style. In this case the "drag link" needs to be the same length as the "split bones" in order to eliminate bad things happening when the suspension moves around.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion of how it should be put together". - Tim Allen

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
If for some reason one is out of money (common hotrod problem), the unisteer looks like it may be an omni or cavelier rack modified for the purpose..So if you just have to have a rack on a cross link steering look into one of those and just attach the link to the right side only. Some thinking on the fabrication of the bracket and one might come up with one that looks good.

Sam

·
Registered
190 Posts
Irelands child said:
Steering Terminology 101

Drag link = from steering arm to steering box, whether its cross steering (Vega) or longitudinal (F100, Mustang, Schroeder)

Tie rod = from steering arm to steering arm or spindle to spindle

User 151 - again!! You are in the wrong place/forum for your rinky dink aggressive and condescending comments attempting to "correct" folks like Centerline, Martinsr, or Deuce. Quite frankly, rags like Rod and Custom are often very, very wrong.
I agree with your definitions, Ireland, but when Sam said "if the length of the drag link matches the length of the radius rods.." that could only apply to side steer -- in cross steer (the photo Martinsr showed) the transverse drag link would have nothing to do with the longitudinal radius rods.

If my technical comment is wrong you are welcome to correct me, but ad hominem attacks will not do it.

Sorry you have a problem with Rod and Custom but the reference I gave matches exactly what Sam said -- for side steer.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts