Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I am having trouble pinning down the location of a wiring problem in (presumably) the starting circuit of my 73 Vette. The starter solenoid will engage only when I run a bypass wire to the start post on it. Otherwise I get no response when I turn the key. Thus far I have eliminated the ignition switch, the battery, and the neutral safety switch as possible culprits. I am thinking this could be a fusible link issue, but the only one I have found (under the wiper motor) was undamaged (I cut it apart to see - then replaced it). Are there any other fusible links to deal with, or am I missing the issue altogether? BTW I have run wires to the coil and starter just so I could get back on the road, but I would rather fix the problem altogether.
Thanks in advance,
AL

·
Administrator
18,639 Posts
Check the wire that goes to your "S" terminal from the ignition switch....especially where it goes through the fuse box. There is a connector block there....may be the back of the fuse box, that has small contacts joining one side to the other. I had the same problem with my Pontiac and it was not conducting right there.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

PULL THE "S" wire from the solenoid, and measure with a DVOM, for 12 volts in "Start" mode..If you have that, the circuit is whole..look at the solenoid for problems.

IF you don't have 12 volts, back track the "S" wire from the solenoid to the NSS and inspect the connections, and adjustments, then from there to the Bottom of the steering column. PULL that plug and inspect and clean the pins.

If you still are missing the 12 volt signal, suspect the Harness inside the column for cut or frayed wires, this is a common occurrence in VETTES with a Tilt and depth adjustment column..

If the harness is good, then the Ignition switch should be checked for burned contacts or just replace it.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.