Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
loves ex cop cars
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got Another Question This Time About Ignition Modules.i Replaced Mine About Two Months Ago And I Think This Just Died Also.my Son Has My Car So I Can't Get Over To Check On It Till Tommorow.he Said He Was Driving Along And Car Just Died.same Thing Happened To Me When Other Module Went.i Have An Accel Hei 48,000 Volt Supper Coil With 8mm Wires And Stock Ignition.i Was Wondering If Thats To Much Coil For Stock Ignition.thanks Joe.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Should not make a difference. What brang module did you put in. Also the installation needs to be done properly (dielectric grease) and tight or they wont last long. I dont believe in those cheap HEI modules. I usually try to get an AC Delco

·
loves ex cop cars
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Put A Bwd Ignition Module In It.where Can I Find An Ac Delco Module Around (tried Autozone,advance,pep Boys)i Used The Grease That Came With Module And I Think I Had It Tight.

·
loves ex cop cars
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'am Not Totally Sure But My First One That Died I Was Driving Home From Work And Just Around The Corner From My House Car Slowly Started To Die And Just Cut Off.i Haven,t Looked At Car Yet It Died On My Son.and Yes I Do Have A Napa Near Me.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
Joe, when you have to replace the ignition module, it is recommended to look at the pickup coil plug in connector for any corrosion. This corrosion usually looks greenish. If any is found, you need to replace the pickup coil, and module.

The resistance across the pickup coil plug, should be 500 to 1500 OHMS.

Also look at the underside of your rotor, for a small pin hole. The spark from your coil, could be going to ground through the distributor shaft.

·
loves ex cop cars
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks

just wanted to thank everone for their imput on my problem.i went and bought an ac delco module and some dielectric grease cleanned everything really really good checked all my connections all looked good installed new module an i'am back in the saddle again :cool: now to see how long it lasts.once again thanks to all of you joe :D :thumbup:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not sure about your particualr problem as I dont' know what you have, but:

there are two main types of coils

1 for points

1 for EI

Points coils are typically around 3.5 ohms primary resistance

EI coils are more around 1.5 ohms.

EI systems only draw current for a short time, while points draw current longer.

When an EI coil is used with an ignition module meant to be points-equivalent (like a Pertornix Ignitor), the module may burn out due to the higher current. Coil will get quite hot ...even though module may not have burned out yet.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
I don't know what your current system is but if it's an HEI that has the coil mounted on top of the distributor cap, the coil MUST have a ground wire that grounds the coil. If the coil is not grounded, it will burn up ignition modules left and right. I know first hand. I had a garage tune up a 96 Caddy and they replaced the coil but did not reconnect the ground wire. It ran 8 miles and quit in my driveway. Called them and they came out and replaced the module. Drove it a day or so and wiped out another. Replaced it twice more until I found the problem, ground!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
jpelli said:
Joe, Are you sure that the module is the problem? It is a little strange to just quit while driving usually they fail when starting.
This is not true. It is very common for them to fail while driving. Sometimes they will even work again for a while once they cool down.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had problems with an ACCEL HEI coil burning up my modules until I swapped to an MSD coil. It seems that in order to increase the output of the ACCEL coil, they decreased the primary windings instead of increasing the secondary windings (cheaper). You have to increase the secondary windings of a step-up transformer by a much larger percentage to get an increase in output (step-up ratio) than if you decrease the primary windings by a small amount. Decreasing the primary windings lowers the impedance so that the module has to push more current to create the same voltage, making more heat in the module's power amplifier components.
I was an electronic technician for over 20 years, so I have some experience with amplifiers and transformers. The coil is basically a step-up transformer.
If you have a transformer with 10 windings on the primary side and 100 windings on the secondary side, then it is a 10:1 ratio step-up. If you decrease the primary to 5 windings then it becomes a 20:1 ratio, doubling the output voltage if the input voltage is the same as before. If you leave the primary at 10 windings, you would have to increase the secondary windings to 200 to have a 20:1 ratio. So its much cheaper to decrease the primary windings than to increase the secondary windings for the same increase in output voltage. The problem with decreasing the primary windings is that it lowers the impedance(resistance) of the circuit so that the amp has to push more current than it was designed for, to create the same voltage.
I can't make any guarantee as I don't know all of the particulars of your set-up, but I would bet 50 bucks a stock coil would cure your module problems.
Just my opinion for what its worth,
ssmonty

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
I see this problem as another "mix-and -match" parts situation.
Try going with a total Accel package or MSD. I'm almost possitive that if you contact
accels website/tech support, they will agree.
In the past, I have had problems come to me like yours and have found
MSD modules, accel wires, Mr. gasket advance kits, monroe coil, and GM rotor buttons and cap all on the same distributor and the people will blame one manufacturer for all their problems.
You have a computer, use your resources to access their website tech support. they also post phone #'s if you like talking one on one and can stand the "hold for next available technician" part of the deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.