Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just replaced blown head gaskets on a sbc 350 and I just had a quick newbie question. Do I need to set my ignition timing if I never touched the crank? It seems to me like if the crank or cam pulley never moved that once I drop in the pushrods and torque em' down to spec, then drop the distributor in with all my drawn marks lined up, it should fire right up. Am I way off here?
btw this is my first time ripping open a sbc so take it easy on me :)
thanks,
mike

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
mmandia said:
Hi all, I just replaced blown head gaskets on a sbc 350 and I just had a quick newbie question. Do I need to set my ignition timing if I never touched the crank? It seems to me like if the crank or cam pulley never moved that once I drop in the pushrods and torque em' down to spec, then drop the distributor in with all my drawn marks lined up, it should fire right up. Am I way off here?
thanks,
mike
You will need to check/set the timing. This is because the distributor was removed. Even if the engine was not turned over and the distributor is replaced with the rotor pointing in the same location as it was when removed. This is because there will be small changes as to the location (rotation) of the distributor body that can/will cause the timing to be slightly off. If in fact the engine was not turned over at all and the distributor has been re-installed very close to your original scribed marks, it should at least start. The timing can then be checked and adjusted as needed.

One question for you. How did you re-adjust the pushrods/lifters without rotating the engine?

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
mmandia said:
I just loosened the lifters and pulled the pushrods out. This is where my confusion came from. I wasn't sure if this would cause the engine to turn at all.
That will not cause the engine to turn over. However, you will have to turn the engine over in order to adjust the lifters. If they are not adjusted correctly the engine may not start and you may even bend one or more pushrods or valves if the adjustment is too tight.

·
Registered
366 Posts
mmandia said:
... It seems to me like if the crank or cam pulley never moved that once I drop in the pushrods and torque em' down to spec, then drop the distributor in with all my drawn marks lined up, it should fire right up. Am I way off here?
thanks,
mike
How and why do you torque down pushrods?? Same for rocker arms. Rocker arm torque is what it is (on the adjusting nut) after you adjust the valves.

Never saw any torque specs on the parts you are refering to.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Always willing to learn.

BTW, do you have a shop manual?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.