Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found these in the summit magazine and they are perfect.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CLM-531-5812-2&N=120+400160+300229
Cheap, mundane look, and super light. If I mess these up I can just rattle can them black and nobody will know the difference. The only problem is that it says they are for circle track only and illeagal to run on the street. What gives? Can I run them anyways? Any comperable wheels out there? Thanks
-Tom

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Well it says they are strong, and I doubt anyone will know that they are illegal for street use. If it were me I'd wouldn't hesitate to run them.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

They are not Hub Centric :(

That means that the center of the rim does not locate off the hub ( the rims locate off the lugs..........NOT as good ) ...more prone to get out of balance and out of round on the hub.

They are not curb resistant either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any viable substitute as far as price and wheight go? They also have the look that I'm shooting for. If I did get them, do you think they would last a few trips on the freeway, a coupla drag passes and cruise ins? there are stronger ones that are full wheight, would those be better? Thanks
-Tom

·
Registered
721 Posts
To add to what Duce said, If you go to Bart wheels web site you will see that their Race Only wheels use a 5/8" wheel stud and a 1"dia x 45* lug nut. Stock wheels use 1/2" dia studs and a shoulder on the axle/spindle to locate the wheels. If you've ever seen what happens to a NASCAR wheel with just one loose lug nut (all the holes egg out and the wheel will come off the car) you'll see why those rims are listed race only. You can get street rims that look the same but fit properly and safely and cost about the same. Have Fun Ride Safe..:thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
You would think if they can take a beating on a dirt track they will last on the street. I had Bart wheels on my truck for 3 years with no problem at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you do any highway driving? I guess I'm most afraid of hitting a bump or pothole and the wheel crumpling up. I found some full strength ones too, I think I'll go with those.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I drove them everywhere. I put over 40,000 miles on the wheels before I sold my truck. I think the guy I sold the truck to still has them on.

Keith

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,806 Posts
You would think that circle track wheels would be stronger but that's the problem they are not. They are soft and meant to bend before they break other stuff. I.E...tie rods, spindles, center links and ball joint's. Not to mention your arms, hands and fingers. You'll play hell getting them to balance right unless you get lucky. So as long as you stay away from curbs and other cars and you get a set that will balance and stay away from the local Dept. of transportation,,,

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
I can't see any problems with running these wheels on the street. I run theses wheels on my circle track car, and have yet to have a problem (except when they hit walls). Running these on street conditions would be far easier on the wheels.

I used to run Bart wheels, but found the Aero's tougher and even a bit cheaper. And yu can get chrome ones too.

bonuts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Ambulance chasing lawyers would love to get a hold of you and your insurance company if you were involved in an accident and they learn you have illegal wheels on your car!!!! Read the fine print on your insurance policy also, because you may find yourself alone in the BIG lawsuit.

Trees

1 - 12 of 12 Posts