Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 Chrysler New Yorker I was just cleaning up under the hood and I checked the fluids, noticed the brake reservoir could be topped up...I started pouring and realized it was power steering fluid I grabbed , I poured about 2 - 3 oz in, right away I panicked and grabbed the vacuum and sucked out the fluid and filled it up with brake fluid and left the car sit, I figured that it's was ok...I never started it or pressed on the brake pedal....the next day I decided to use the vacuum and suck the brake reservoir completely dry and I took a rag and whipped the inside and filled it back up with brake fluid...I haven't driven the car yet, it's still just been sitting, am I ok? Or do you guys think I'm up sh#t Creek without a paddle?...let me know what I should do

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is it worth taking a chance, No, otherwise you might find you have got to strip the system, clean up and change rubbers in the near future.. First I would undo all the bleed nipple's. Then blow the system out with compressed air a fairly low pressure. Then I would clean the whole system out with brake cleaner or methylated spirits by bleeding it through the system just like brake bleeding till it clear. Then refill with brake fluid and bleed again as normal.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Over all I think you got the power steering fluid out with vacuuming it twice, BUT it won’t hurt to flush the system, it probably hasn’t been done in who knows.

There are several ways to do this, 1 like Brading said power bleed, 2 is the old fashioned way with 2 people, 1 person pumping the brakes and 1 opening the bleeder.

Start at the passenger rear and bleed until you get nice clean and clear fluid, this one will take a lot of pumps and bleeds because it is the longest line and your flushing the largest part of system. Once clear do drivers side rear, then passenger front and last driver front.

A few words of caution, 1 look at the bleeder screws, if I recall the rears are very small and if has been sometime since there were opened, strong chance they will brake off.
Spary them with WD40 and let them sit. Another trick is a propane torch, heat them up, need to be careful cause seals and brake fluid does start on fire.

I bring these things up because I see your in Canada and if this car has ever been driven in the winter, them bleeders are going to be a pain in the butt and can quickly open a can of worms.

Good luck

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
Unless you had a bleeder screw open, any fluid poured in to top off the reservior wouldn't go anywhere, just sit in the reservior.
By draining/siphoning the reservior before any use, you solved the problem....but I do agree if it has sat unused for a period of time now wold be a good time to flush the whole system anyway.
No need to run a solvent through it, just fresh brake fluid pushed through the entire system will clean it fine.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Since you never hit the pedal you never put any of the hydraulic fluid into the lines, cylinders or anything else. I would remove the brake fluid one more time, use a good rag sprayed with Brake Cleaner, wipe out the insides of the master, clean the top and then refill it with brake fluid. I doubt if you will have any issues with it. But, if you decide to bleed the brakes and depending on how long it's been since you did that on this car and the fact that you are in a northern area - you should count on breaking or stripping 2 out of the 4 bleeder screws. Then you'll have to replace whatever parts those screws are attached too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on guys thanks, I'll flush the system with some new brake fluid and hope for the best, I'd clean it with some brake clean first but here in Ontario because of covid 19 were locked down...we can buy food and medical stuff in the stores but everything else in the stores are closed off so I can't by any brake clean...I can't even buy a big jug of brake fluid right now....havent a clue what I'm gonna do..I'll have to go from gas station to gas station buying little small things of brake fluid if I'm able to...I might have to go Bugg a local garage and see if I can get brake fluid from them....holy jezz this covid has everything screwed right up

·
Registered
95 Posts
Order online and pick up from Canadian Tire.
Right on guys thanks, I'll flush the system with some new brake fluid and hope for the best, I'd clean it with some brake clean first but here in Ontario because of covid 19 were locked down...we can buy food and medical stuff in the stores but everything else in the stores are closed off so I can't by any brake clean...I can't even buy a big jug of brake fluid right now....havent a clue what I'm gonna do..I'll have to go from gas station to gas station buying little small things of brake fluid if I'm able to...I might have to go Bugg a local garage and see if I can get brake fluid from them....holy jezz this covid has everything screwed right up

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Since you never hit the pedal you never put any of the hydraulic fluid into the lines, cylinders or anything else. I would remove the brake fluid one more time, use a good rag sprayed with Brake Cleaner, wipe out the insides of the master, clean the top and then refill it with brake fluid. I doubt if you will have any issues with it. But, if you decide to bleed the brakes and depending on how long it's been since you did that on this car and the fact that you are in a northern area - you should count on breaking or stripping 2 out of the 4 bleeder screws. Then you'll have to replace whatever parts those screws are attached too.
You MIGHT have to replace the calipers /wheel cylinders , in the past I've removed a lot of broken off bleeder screws . Many times with a left handed drill bit & a little heat , you can back them right out .
The judicious use of heat & you won't necessarily break any to begin with!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got ahold of some brake fluid today, the flush didn't go well...I started at the back tires, all went fine,...got to the front and it's like "foamy" fluid coming out, thousands of tiny little air bubbles/fluid...I'm using the method with the small short clear tube onto the bleeder screw and into a bottle...you can see how many little air bubbles are mixed with the fluid...same for the other front tire...stiff pedal but the front brakes basically don't grab, I can spin the tire a little bit with my hands while my dad is hard on the brake pedal...also I can see an air bubble come up the brake reservoir every few seconds now, the air is coming from the side that holds the fluid for the front brakes (same side I put the few oz of power steering in)..with the cap off I can push the pedal in slowly and release and it's like a line of air bubbles coming up the brake reservoir...I'm guessing the seals in the master cylinder for the front went bad now due to my dumb mistake...I flushed the system anyways just the front has an incredible amount of air in it ...im guessing i need a new master cylinder?

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Welcome to the snowball effect!
A simple fix gains momentum and soon you’ll replace the whole system.
Seems it’ll be sitting awhile with no parts available unless you trust the junk Canuck tire sells.
We can still go shopping like normal out here on Vancouver Island.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,407 Posts
I don't think you have a seal problem. You would be leaking fluid out, not sucking air in. My guess is either the safety valve in the proportioning valve has moved or a little air got in the system when you vacuumed it.

Hopefully, there is someone here that knows his Chrysler products and can give you good advice.

John

·
Registered
303 Posts
Next thing I would try would be to go around the system again undo each nipple in turn just let the quite a bit of fluid run out watching for air bubbles. DO NOT touch the brake pedal till you have been right around system. Done this a number of times to bleed the system with success rather than pumping it through the system. Not sure if this this would work if you have valves in the system but what have you got nothing to lose by trying.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,822 Posts
It’s sounds like air in the MC to me.
Try running hoses from the output to the reservoir and slow pump away till the air is gone. That’s gonna take 5-10 or less pumps. Then bleed as you were with the hose and bottle.
Next time, suck it out with a turkey baster. Makes far less mess of your shop vac.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
The bubbles in the hose while bleeding could be from the gaps in the bleeder screw threads.
Maybe a bit of Teflon tape on the threads?
Anyone here have a trick for this issue as I get it all the time.

I agree that the master cylinder probably needs bleeding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright guys, I'll try and find some old brake lines laying around and do the "bench bleed" , with a couple short lines going from the master cylinder right back into the reservoir while the master cylinder is still on the car and see if my air bubble problem will be solved

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.