Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 54y.o. guy, I've got a garage for the first time in my life so I'm finally able to get into this hobby after decades of viewing from the outside. I'm a regular guy, I could never afford to hire a pro to build me a car, so the only way I'll ever get a chance to drive a custom car inspired by the '30s art deco classics that I'll never have a chance to even see in person, (Duesenbergs, Talbot Lagos, Delahayes, Bugattis), is to build it myself, in the garage, old school, hot rod style. I'm untrained and inexperienced in metalworking and auto mechanics, other then what I've seen on tv. I'm the "as-seen-on-tv" car builder! In my twisted logic, I figured by building my own custom car from the ground up I'd have to learn everything about cars, and all the skills needed, to complete the project. So now I'm in. You can check out the project on my youtube vid (
) but right now I need to buy supplies and I need some info to move forward. Hoping y'all can help...
1. When chopping up the cab, I know I need to brace it up internally to keep it all square... What gauge of metal tubing or square stock should I buy for this?
2. I'll need to make rust repairs and will need to form body panels from sheet metal. What gauge of sheet metal should I buy for body panels?
I can't wait to start chopping and welding to create the sportscar I see inside that sedan. I'm shooting for somewhere between a rat rod and a full custom. With these answers I can buy supplies to get started. I'm sure there are questions I don't even know to ask yet, so I'll appreciate any other tips I can get as well. Thanks.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Welcome....sounds like a fun project.
Not sure of the exact gauge, but go to a parts store (NAPA etc). They sell sheets of body metal. Your car, being older will have thicker metal than they use these days.
As for bracing, mostly I have seen 1" square tubing being used.

Another thing, why don't you start a thread in our projects section. That way you can keep doing updates as you go along.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much Poncho62! That's what I was hoping for. Didn't know where to buy sheets of body metal, so that's a great tip. I wouldn't have thought about an auto parts store for raw materials like that. Yep, the metal on the '39 is seriously thick, real metal made to last. I'm new to online forums too, so thanks for that tip as well. I'll keep y'all updated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.